Wireless Connection

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

Wireless Connection

Postby CarloL on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:14 pm

M1 series use IPV6 communication protocol
Lan (ethernet cable RJ45) connection

Anybody suggest a good setup to create a WIFI network so I could connect to the ECU from inside via my PC , versus physically having to sit in the car

I am not tuning the car but nice to have to interface with the ECU to look at logs, errors ....rather than freezing my ass off in winter

I was using your traditional sized router but looking into a mini router , easier to travel with

Has anybody successfully used a mini router to create a wireless network?
CarloL

Re: Wireless Connection

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:27 am

I've actually done this with an M1 & C185. I purchased a small netgear router (one powered by 12V DC), removed the case, and installed the PCB into a 3-D printed case which in mounted in the car. It worked for several months, then something failed due to vibration and I never bothered to fix it. It's just not that hard to connect an Ethernet cable. And it's handy having my WiFi available at the same time for M1 Tune updates, etc.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Herrubermensch on Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:23 am

Salasko Racing makes a wonderful box for this. Allows multiple items to be connected to your laptop via wifi simultaneously, including a PDM, as it incorporates the circuitry from a UTC.

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby MalcolmG on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 am

I have done the same as David Ferguson on many vehicles, using small 2-port TP-Link routers. The main difference is I have also potted them and added waterproof connectors to replace the LAN ports, plus changed to different router firmware (standard firmware didn't support IPv6). It works great, and is basically a must-have if you have a display and an ECU you want to regularly connect to and download data from. It's also very handy if you have a vehicle that spends a lot of time in the water! Much easier than plugging in on a wharf or at the edge of a lake, and better than taking a laptop onto the water.

The biggest downside is that you have to wait for the wireless network to come online before you can connect (usually only 15-20 seconds, but can be annoying).
MalcolmG
Pro User

Postby Mr_Matty_G on Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:17 am

I just use one of these,

TP-LINK TL-MR3040

With a really short RJ45 Cable,
Works a treat, only issue is you have to charge the battery after about 3-4 hours.
It is charged from a micro USB so you could wire up a power supply I suppose.

Also they are getting hard to get hold of. A friend of mine uses a cheep Chinese copy one and says its fine.
Mr_Matty_G

Return to M1 ECUs