M150 mounting questions?

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

M150 mounting questions?

Postby Clean RC on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:44 am

Hello new Motec user here. I searched and have not found an answer to my question. Mounting the M150 in a vertical plane on a aly plate bolted to the roll cage of a rally car. My Motec dealer said that it needs to be mounted in a horizontal plane due to an internal sensor. Reading threw the literature and I have not found this. Is this correct? We are using the M150 to control the engine and ACD on a Evo8. I am using the stock lat and long sensors, so I am puzzled by this. Thank You for any help.
Clean RC

Re: M150 mounting questions?

Postby adrian on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:53 am

You can mount the ECU in any orientation you like, the only thing it affects is the internal G-Sensor.

The internal G-Sensor isn't used in any function in the ECU, it is for logging purposes only. So if you mount the ECU vertically your Z axis becomes longitudinal acceleration, the Y axis remains the lateral and the X axis becomes the vertical acceleration.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby rntechnologies on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:06 am

Are you using your own custom package, or one from a different developer?

Your best option is to look at the package you are utilising, and see if you have the ability to select what sensor to use as an axis on the maps that relate to the ACD control. This will determine if you can mount it vertically.
The ECU has a 3-Axis sensor onboard, meaning that you will have lateral, longitudinal, and vertical. (X,Y,Z)
If you Mount the ECU vertically, you will just have to ensure that you can re-assign the different axis to the correct maps, as the Y sensor will become Z etc depending on orientation.
Regards,
Ryan
rntechnologies
Pro User

Postby rntechnologies on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:07 am

Adrian beat me to it! :lol:
Regards,
Ryan
rntechnologies
Pro User

Postby adrian on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:35 am

Are you using your own custom package, or one from a different developer?

rntechnologies brings up a good point, my comments are based on the fact that you are using one of our GP packages rather than a custom package. If you have a custom package it is possible the internal accelerometer is being used for other things.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Clean RC on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:56 am

rntechnologies wrote:Are you using your own custom package, or one from a different developer?

Its the John Reed package, and where would i find the internal g sensor in the package? I have looked in all calibrate to see if its used. I have messaged John many times with no response, hence why I am here.
Clean RC

Postby rntechnologies on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Any custom package needs to be supported by the developer, as the extra functionality they include is outside the scope of what is normally offered.
Generally, the help files within the ECU should contain information surrounding the use of the extra functionality. If you look at the help attached to the ACD sections of his firmware, does it mention in there what Axis are used?
Regards,
Ryan
rntechnologies
Pro User

Postby rntechnologies on Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:35 pm

I just managed to have a look at the JRR package for you.
Under All Calibrate>Vehicle>Acceleration the options to set the lateral, longitudinal and vertical sensor resources are available.
This means you can mount the ECU as you require, and just assign the channels to the correct resource.
Regards,
Ryan
rntechnologies
Pro User

Postby Clean RC on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:02 am

rntechnologies wrote:I just managed to have a look at the JRR package for you.
Under All Calibrate>Vehicle>Acceleration the options to set the lateral, longitudinal and vertical sensor resources are available.
This means you can mount the ECU as you require, and just assign the channels to the correct resource.

Thank You, I also dug into the all calibrate last night and found the vehicle acceleration option. Thank You again for the help, as I said I am new to motec products, tons different from gems and pectel.
Clean RC

Postby tepid1 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:57 am

JRR uses Resource option "firmware 6, 7 and 8" for internal accelerometers which can be used for control (IE: traction)
tepid1

Return to M1 ECUs