M150 Current Draw

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

M150 Current Draw

Postby Rex-Racer on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:16 pm

Trying to find the current draw of the ECU and can't seem to find that spec. Wanting to know if I can run the ECU off an 8amp PDM output or do I need to run it off a 20A output.

TIA
Jay
Rex-Racer

Re: M150 Current Draw

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Hi Jay,

The current draw of the M1 will vary dependant on the hardware attached to it, especially the number of DBW throttles used. The M150 with no inputs or outputs being used (essentially the M1 powered up on the bench) will have a no load current draw of 0.34A @ 13.8V.

The M150 (single DBW) that I have in my car is run off of a single 8A output on my PDM along with the C187 and LTC, and it peaks at around 5.5A. The Dash and LTC will draw most of that current as well.

The important wiring to have done on the M150 is the extra Battery Positive and Battery Negative pins on the A and B connectors, these must be wired if you are using the extra I/O on those connectors.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Rex-Racer on Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm

That's exactly what I needed to know. Single DBW, Dash and 4 cylinder engine with one LTC so driving off the one 8A output is what I was hoping for, need the 20A for shifter air pump.

Good to know about the other power inputs needed, plan on using several I/O's.

Thx
Jay
Rex-Racer

Postby Herrubermensch on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:26 am

SDean wrote:Hi Jay,

The current draw of the M1 will vary dependant on the hardware attached to it, especially the number of DBW throttles used. The M150 with no inputs or outputs being used (essentially the M1 powered up on the bench) will have a no load current draw of 0.34A @ 13.8V.

The M150 (single DBW) that I have in my car is run off of a single 8A output on my PDM along with the C187 and LTC, and it peaks at around 5.5A. The Dash and LTC will draw most of that current as well.

The important wiring to have done on the M150 is the extra Battery Positive and Battery Negative pins on the A and B connectors, these must be wired if you are using the extra I/O on those connectors.

Wow! I have always connected two 20A PDM outputs to my M190s, running through all four BATT+ pins (single DBW, but all other half-bridge outputs used for BMW vanos control). Sounds like I am overdoing it quite a bit!

--Peter
Herrubermensch

Postby PEI330Ci on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:48 am

Herrubermensch wrote:

Wow! I have always connected two 20A PDM outputs to my M190s, running through all four BATT+ pins (single DBW, but all other half-bridge outputs used for BMW vanos control). Sounds like I am overdoing it quite a bit!

--Peter

Peter,

That is perfectly to scale with everything else in the car.

I wouldn't change anything on principle. :D
PEI330Ci

Postby Herrubermensch on Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:29 pm

PEI330Ci wrote:
Herrubermensch wrote:

--Peter

Peter,

That is perfectly to scale with everything else in the car.

I wouldn't change anything on principle. :D
:D :D :D :D :D
Herrubermensch

Return to M1 ECUs