M1 gear shift ignition cut issue

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

M1 gear shift ignition cut issue

Postby tepid1 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 am

Hey folks,

Having some troubles getting the ignition to actually cut in the car upon a gear change request.

Looks like the m150 is processing the request as gear shift state changes, but the actual ignition cut is not happening. I've read and reread the details in the help file, just can't seem to put my finger on the "why it's not happening".

Here is a screen shot of a pass where it didn't work.

gearshiftissue.jpeg
gearshiftissue.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 21793 times

Gearshiftsettings.jpeg
Gearshiftsettings.jpeg (466.24 KiB) Viewed 21793 times

As an H-pattern shift transmission, everything is setup for "upshift power on". The other modes have no numbers as I'm not using them. No fuel cut. Just ignition. I followed the guidance found in the help files. Seem to be missing something though.

M1shiftsettings.jpeg
M1shiftsettings.jpeg (107.62 KiB) Viewed 21793 times

Any advise is appreciated. I'm not looking forward to trashing a $10k gear box.

Thanks,
Chris
tepid1

Re: M1 gear shift ignition cut issue

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:20 pm

I think your debounce time of 500 mS (1/2 a second) is way to long. You are probably completing the shift before the cut will even activate.

I suggest a reasonable debounce time might be 2-10 ms.

Also, is there a reason Gear Shift Engine Speed Limit Mode is not enabled? This is where the RPM limiter will be set to the proper speed for the next gear, and rev-matching makes the gear shift smoother. Requires gear ratios setup for this to work -- log Ratio and Estimated Ratio make changes to make these as close as possible.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 pm

Sorry David, the Debounce is correct, what that value does is prevent a second shift occurring straight away if, for example, the driver still has their hand on the lever after the first shift, and then hits a bump that triggers an unwanted shift. The debounce is designed to prevent a second shift cut from occurring within the debounce period.

Also, Gear Shift Limit Mode only works when the Gear Type is set to Sequential, it is deactivated with H Pattern selected.

As David has asked, can you provide logging showing the Gear Ratio and Estimated Gear Ratio, as this can cause the cut to not work if the Estimate is Neutral or Default.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby tepid1 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:46 pm

TS.jpeg
TS.jpeg (833.96 KiB) Viewed 21769 times

Hope this helps. Appears as though gear and gear estimate are working fine and detecting the proper gear.
tepid1

Postby tepid1 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:50 pm

For some reason this page isn't letting me upload the actual log file.
tepid1

Postby tepid1 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:42 am

Also, can anyone explain why on the 2-3 shift that the gear shift state stays in rearm for a couple seconds? Is this because the driver still is pulling on the lever for the duration?
tepid1

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi,

You should be able to upload a .ld file to the forum, so i am not sure why you can't do so, unless it is hitting the 10mb files size limit.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby tepid1 on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 am

Ok, I had to cut it down, but this log file is everything that I log, or should be. I'm not super proficient in i2, but I think it's right.

Chris

Forum.ld
(313.85 KiB) Downloaded 888 times
tepid1

Postby tepid1 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:45 am

Figured out what it was this past weekend....

I had a clutch switch installed which I decided not to use anymore since I had a clutch pressure sensor. I forgot to place the "Driver Switch" to "Not in use" in M1. So, it looked like the clutch was always disengaged. "Clutch State" plays a role in gear shift ignition cut. Put that driver switch to not in use and everything works as it should.

I had a feeling it was user error, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks to all the data logging abilities of the M1 I was able to pinpoint this issue.

Thanks to all for the help.
Chris
tepid1

Return to M1 ECUs