coil-on-plug module clicking, but no spark

Discussion and Support for MoTeC's M1 series ECUs

coil-on-plug module clicking, but no spark

Postby jslacey2002 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:28 am

I am using an M142 ECU and having an ignition problem, which I'm sure is for some dumb reason that I'm just missing (solutions are always obvious once you find them). The engine is a 4-cylinder Ford EcoBoost with coil-on-plug (3-wire) modules. My issue is that as far as I can tell, all my wiring to the COP is good, and the ECU is outputting a pulse train to the coil (I can hear the coil clicking), but I don't get a spark (and I am using a previous software configuration that worked on an older version of this same engine). At the moment, I have the driver current set to 12 mA, though I have tried 20 and 30 with the same result. I have tried swapping known working COP modules and spark plugs, and several ignition outputs on the ECU, all with the same result. I did notice that when I went from 12 to 20 mA of ignition driver current I went from about 3.5V peaks to 5V peaks on the ignition cylinder output absolute voltage (the ECU trigger signal to the COP module) as logged through the ECU. The COP looks like it has battery voltage at its power leads, so I'm starting to get a bit stumped as to what else I could even try. If anyone has suggestions or ideas I would be greatly appreciative.
jslacey2002

Re: coil-on-plug module clicking, but no spark

Postby Ben-S on Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:40 am

Are you certain the coils don't need an external ignitor? Some 3 wire COP coils still need an external ignitor.
Ben-S

Re: coil-on-plug module clicking, but no spark

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:10 am

Bare in mind if you do get this wrong...you can fry the coils ( and possibly the drivers )

If in doubt, monitor the actual current dwell time supplied to the coil to ensure it is as expected.
stevieturbo

Return to M1 ECUs