setting up closed loop boost control

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation of entry level ECUs

Re: setting up closed loop boost control

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:23 pm

The values are irrelevant to this, underneath all of the calculations are done in kPa, you are just changing the displayed units.

I also changed the min and maximum integral clamps, as they where both at 20, which is stopping the Integral from working.

With the Max and Minimum duty cycles, this sets the bounds for the normal table, so having a narrow window for the range reduces the granularity of the Normal table.

Is it a MAC type valve that you are using? These need approximately 15% DC to start to operate, and are at maximum flow by ~85%.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby stainless1 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:01 pm

So you didn't see anything that is keeping boost control from working... my log says DC is whatever I set the minimum to so far. At 10k RPM I should have seen some DC... not 0.
I thought the integral clamps were for over shoot and under shoot. But that should not have kept duty at 0.
I am using a MAC valve...
stainless1

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:50 pm

When I have a chance I'll load your file into a M84 and do some testing. Looking at the settings I cannot see anything obvious.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:15 pm

Hi,

have just done some testing, and you need to change the boost aim numbers to PSI to get it to work. They need to match the MAP sensors units.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby stainless1 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:31 am

OK. how about the cutoff and activation? Also in psi?
stainless1

Postby stainless1 on Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:52 am

Well to make life easier I just changed my map sensor to kPa... I can do that a lot easier than change the table and activation and cut... I can work in kPa, I did with my M4... this one had a PSI option so I picked it.
I relooked at the I clamps and saw that neg needed to be a negative number.
This is a Bonneville motor, not a street motor... I'm not really looking for boost throttle response or lag... we basically push the throttle down shift a little early in 1st gear and be at WOT before the 2nd to 3rd shift. From there it is WFO for the next 4.5 miles or so and shifting with the light.
Best timed mile so far is 248.8 MPH or 400.4 KPH... not bad for 997cc in an open wheel car
Attachments
old Bockscar.jpg
old Bockscar.jpg (350.37 KiB) Viewed 7583 times
stainless1

Postby stainless1 on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:44 pm

Oh yeah, you have to change fuel compensation to kPa too.... runs a bit rich with psi compensation numbers in the there if the MAP is in kPa.
stainless1

Previous

Return to M84 ECUs