BIRKIN 7 with KAWASAKI ZX14R - HELP :) Base MAP required

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation of entry level ECUs

BIRKIN 7 with KAWASAKI ZX14R - HELP :) Base MAP required

Postby OzCars on Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:20 am

Hi Everyone,

My little project is a Birkin 7 ( Lotus 7 replica) with a Kawasaki ZX14R motor. Its sort of a MID MOUNT set up with the motor next to me driving directly onto a Subaru R160 diff.

If it doesn't understeer to much it should be fun... Gonna start NA, if its toooo slooooowww it'll get a TURBO :lol:

I was wondering if anyone has a base MAP for me to start with? Some assistance with setup to start would be greatly appreciated.

SET UP:
M84 - Single Lambda
PDM15
Stock ZX14R Motor
Stock sensors used
Stock injectors and Coils
Secondary Throttle Flaps removed

I think I have the base setup about 80% correct but Im getting a Ref/Sync - NotSYNCED when I crank it over.
Im using the #65 Ref/Sync mode but I have no idea what the other Ref/Sync setting should be?

FYI Kawasaki use a MAP sensor to measure vacum on cylinder #1 to start the sync process - if im not mistaken...

Thanks in advance

Oscar
South Africa
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (199.26 KiB) Viewed 19737 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (165.56 KiB) Viewed 19737 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (194.91 KiB) Viewed 19737 times
Last edited by OzCars on Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
OzCars

Re: BIRKIN 7 with KAWASAKI ZX14R - HELP :)

Postby OzCars on Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:22 am

This is a screenshot of the REF/SYNC capture. IM by no means an expert but I think this looks OK?
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (229.47 KiB) Viewed 19736 times
OzCars

Re: BIRKIN 7 with KAWASAKI ZX14R - HELP :) Base MAP required

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:00 am

For any real help, you will need to post your ECU Config, and the actual Ref/Sync Capture file. A log of the cranking might also be useful.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby OzCars on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:37 am

Thank you David,

Im a real NEWB when it comes to this.

I have attached my config and the "capture" from the ref/sync test.

I cant seem to log the cranking as the ECU doesn't see rpm? is there another way of starting a log on a M84?

Thanks
Attachments
27-12-2021.m84-12
(72 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
refsync 28-12-2021.rsc2
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
OzCars

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:35 am

Well, that's a big clue. You should see RPM with just the ref signal set correctly. I will take a look at your files when I get a chance later today.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:20 pm

I suggest you use the Options... button in the Ref/Sync Capture window to change the Y axis range to -5 to +5, that will make your sync (MAP) signal a little clearer. Your MAP signal currently goes from about 3.3v to 2.5v during the intake stroke that you will want to use for sync.

If you zoom in, you can see the reference pattern is 24-2. So in the Adjust->Sensor Setup->Ref/Sync Sensor Setup...->Setup You will first want to make your Crank Ref Teeth be 24 (it the number of pulses, plus the number of missing pulses per revolution).

I would start with Ref/Sync Mode set to 7 (you have two missing teeth each rev, or twice per cycle).

The Ref sensor looks like a magnetic (variable reluctance) type because of the sine-wave shape. So you should change the Ref Sensor Type to 2 (Magnetic) -- this will disable the internal pullup resistor, and you should see the sine wave will be centered around zero volts when you take a new Ref/Sync Capture.

I assume the MAP sensor is powered and wired to both the Sync input and the AV2 MAP input. If that's the case, then you don't want the Sync input to be adding any pullup voltage, so set the Sync Sensor Type to 2 as well. After making these changes, you will need to reset the ECU, and re-run the Ref/Sync Capture. Upload that and the config, and we can use that to set the Sync Trigger Voltage and the Adjust->Sensor Setup->Ref/Sync Sensor Setup...->Ref Mag Sensor levels, and Sync Mag Sensor Levels.

That should get you started. I'm willing to keep helping, but I always need to ask-- have you contacted your MoTeC dealer for help? They should be willing to provide more immediate direct help to support the product they sold you.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to M84 ECUs