DBC FILE MOTEC M84

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation of entry level ECUs

DBC FILE MOTEC M84

Postby dr350 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm

Hello. How are they?

I am working on a project with a MOTEC M84 and I need to link it with Dash Marelli for the CO-DRIVER. I am missing the DBC file to do the job.

Could you send me the file?

THANKS AND REGARDS!
dr350

Re: DBC FILE MOTEC M84

Postby adrian on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:51 am

Below is a document that outlines how the CAN messaging from an M84 works. It sends out CAN messages like a serial stream with a header and checksum all on one CAN address.

Also below is a dbc file but because of the data stream format the file doesn't comply with the dbc file spec and won't open in most programs. It is really only useful as a list of channels.
Attachments
PSAU0015_MoTeC_M800_Set_3_Data_Protocol.pdf
(130.9 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
Data Set 3.dbc
(22.52 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Sylvain_L on Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Hello,

Opening this dbc file with Canalyzer gives error message.

Opening it with AIM RaceStudio makes application to crash.

Dis someone face this issue?

Sylvain
Sylvain_L

Postby David Ferguson on Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:28 am

Can you open the PDF file? Read the DBC file in a text editor. As stated, it's only useful to get the channel names.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Sylvain_L on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:25 am

David Ferguson wrote:Can you open the PDF file? Read the DBC file in a text editor. As stated, it's only useful to get the channel names.

Hello,

Sure, I can open the PDF file. Interest of DBC file is to respect Vector formalism to be able to import file with other system.

If file does not follow formalism, rename it as txt file to avoid mis-understanding ;)
Sylvain_L

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:17 am

I wouldn't expect any DBC import facility to understand the M84 stream. You need to read and understand the PDF document if you have any hope of implementing support. Without access to being able to write code on whatever platform it is your working with, it's unlikely you can be successful.

AIM already has support for the M84 stream. If your goal is to add other non-M84 can messages (because Aim only support one "protocol" on each CAN bus), you'll never be able to do it with the M84. Best bet today is to use the CAN2 bus (if your logger has that), and put your custom protocol on that CAN bus. Connect CAN1 and CAN2 to the same CAN bus if you wish, that does work.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to M84 ECUs