Old school Motec software for 2000 New Beetle Cup

A place to show off your MoTeC Projects

Old school Motec software for 2000 New Beetle Cup

Postby poshbuggers on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Ok, so I have recently made a mad purchase and have begun the process of rebuilding this ex-VW Motorsport New Beetle Cup racecar. These cars were raced in a proper series by VW between 1999 and 2003 with around 40 cars built in total.

The cars ran a 2.8V6 engine, taken from the Golf Mk4 and had a Bosch Motorsport ECU.

It would have looked much like this sister car in 2000 when it was made.

I'm looking to obtain original software for mapping and datalogging purposes and as a few more of these cars still exist and are likely to return to the track hope to build a proper repository of information for them.

The original engine code is (I believe) AUE which is the 204bhp, 200lb/ft variant of the V6 engine.

Here is original footage of VW using what looks to be datalogging software but my knowledge of such tech is very basic. I can see clearly a Motec logo and a 2D model of the Sachsenring circuit being logged to the cars data.

https://youtu.be/-C-b1Sc-EUA?t=50

Can anyone advise on what would have been used and whether it is still available in any form?
poshbuggers

Re: Old school Motec software for 2000 New Beetle Cup

Postby poshbuggers on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:01 pm

A few screengrabs. Admittedly not great, but it's all I have from an old VHS tape.

poshbuggers

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:58 am

You said in your post they used a Bosch Motorsport ecu ?

Really you need to find the ecu and see what part/model numbers are on it. A video of someone elses setup from 13 years ago is telling you nothing about your specific car.
stevieturbo

Postby poshbuggers on Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:45 am

stevieturbo wrote:You said in your post they used a Bosch Motorsport ecu ? Really you need to find the ecu and see what part/model numbers are on it.

I think they are a Bosch 'Motronic' unit.

stevieturbo wrote:A video of someone elses setup from 13 years ago is telling you nothing about your specific car.

As all the cars ran with the same spec it's not a case of individual setups. The only differences would be in the software and setup.

The VW Racing build manual lists the part number as: 022 906 032 B but the number on a matching Cup ECU (pictured) is 0 261 20 6 239 which matches the stock 4motion part number

poshbuggers

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:22 am

Open the case up to see what is on the actual boards themselves. If it's a Motec, no doubt it will say so.
stevieturbo

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:22 am

I'll bet they used a Motec ADL dash and the Bosch Motorsport ECU. What you are seeing is someone running the original Interpreter program.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby stevieturbo on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:18 am

That probably makes a lot of sense.

The ADAC sticker looks like some sort of a seal on the ecu casing ? Presumably it's a fixed series with engines/ecu's not allowed to be tampered with ?
stevieturbo

Postby poshbuggers on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:13 am

stevieturbo wrote:That probably makes a lot of sense.

The ADAC sticker looks like some sort of a seal on the ecu casing ? Presumably it's a fixed series with engines/ecu's not allowed to be tampered with ?

Exactly that ^

When the actual ECU lands I will split it and post details/pics.
poshbuggers

Return to Customer Projects