frankenferrari V12

A place to show off your MoTeC Projects

Re: frankenferrari V12

Postby SprinterTRD on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:49 am

I am reasonably sure that your lambda sensors wont work properly in that position, they are too close to the flame front. They will always read lean. They may have a problem with over temperature as well.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby mk e on Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:49 pm

SprinterTRD wrote:I am reasonably sure that your lambda sensors wont work properly in that position, they are too close to the flame front. They will always read lean. They may have a problem with over temperature as well.

hmmmm........to be honest the location was chosen so everything would look neat more than any other reason and over-temp was the main concern on my concern but convinced myself that because it's a single cylinder the average temp shouldn't be too bad, I hadn't even considered flame front issues.

I could filter the data to only accept readings within a specified crank angle window to avoid readings at the flame front passes.....think that would help?
mk e

Postby SprinterTRD on Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Which sensor are you using? If its a 4.9 then the operating temp needs to be below 930C

I have experienced incorrect mixtures with a sensor too close to the output of a turbo and that was around 150mm.

If you are going to put them there ( and they last ) then you will need one sensor in each bank at the collectors to see what the actual lambda value is per bank and use the port ones as a mixture balance indication rather than the correct lambda value.

I'm no expert on this but I guess while your tuning you could collect the lambda differences and set up a correction lambda table of actual value from the collector Vs measured at the ports at different RPM.
I'm only guessing here but this table may need to be different for each cylinder due to back pressure variances.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby mk e on Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:47 pm

I'm putting a 4.9 in the 2 bank collectors and those will be the lambda readings I actually use.

The pipes are getting NBO2 sensors because they are cheap ($25 on amazon) and have reaction times or a msec or 2. I'm mostly just going to log these but his is a street engine so it will spend a lot of time near stoich where NBO2 sensors are dead accurate so my thought is the data from them will be very helpful getting the ITBs and mixes matched up at low power to get it driving smooth and nice.

Also, while the NBO2 senors aren't accurate away from stoich they are pretty repeatable and very fast so they should be able to find cycle to cycle variation if it's there and can be used for misifre or other error detection. Ok....mostly these are a science experiment :lol:
mk e

Postby mk e on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:10 am

SprinterTRD wrote:I am reasonably sure that your lambda sensors wont work properly in that position, they are too close to the flame front. They will always read lean. They may have a problem with over temperature as well.

Now that all 14 bungs are finished I've decided that if I just put 4 NB sensors in the 3-1 collectors + crank position I should get just as much data and less wires and no chance of frying the sensors. Time it install 4 more bungs and just use the 12 pipe bungs for trouble shooting of maybe TCs
mk e

Postby mk e on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 am

A quick update Tonight it was a little Smokey but it's finally starting to sound right:

https://youtu.be/2cOeKkw_0JI

Hopefully the smoke is just lying O2 sensors and it's got way too much fuel.....but it does FINALLY run.
mk e

Previous

Return to Customer Projects