Pump gas fuel temperature vs ignition timing

Forum for general discussions on engine tuning, not specific to a particular motec ECU

Pump gas fuel temperature vs ignition timing

Postby victor.T on Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:56 pm

Hi ,

I am wondering on how far fuel temperature can make tolerance on ignition timing to go a bit aggressive
Let’s assume we cool it down from 40c to 5c
A pump gas 98 octane
victor.T

Re: Pump gas fuel temperature vs ignition timing

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:56 am

Hi Victor,

Which ECU are you using?

From experience, cooling the fuel without a matching change in the default Fuel Temperature set in the ECU, will make the engine run rich, and a change from 40° to 5° will move the Lambda from around 1.00 to 0.85 at idle without any other changes. Having a Fuel Temperature sensor in an M1 will compensate for this.

When it comes to Ignition control, there will be an effect, but not as much. There are a lot of variables in play when it comes to Ignition advance, so whilst having more charge cooling can assist, having a denser mix in the combustion chamber can increase the dynamic compression ratio and increase to possibility of an abnormal ignition event occurring.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby victor.T on Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:37 pm

Stephen Dean wrote:Hi Victor,

Which ECU are you using?

From experience, cooling the fuel without a matching change in the default Fuel Temperature set in the ECU, will make the engine run rich, and a change from 40° to 5° will move the Lambda from around 1.00 to 0.85 at idle without any other changes. Having a Fuel Temperature sensor in an M1 will compensate for this.

When it comes to Ignition control, there will be an effect, but not as much. There are a lot of variables in play when it comes to Ignition advance, so whilst having more charge cooling can assist, having a denser mix in the combustion chamber can increase the dynamic compression ratio and increase to possibility of an abnormal ignition event occurring.

Hi Stephen,
Thanks for your fast reply
I am using M150 and fuel temp is connected but as i am limited on the competition on pump gas 98 i am looking for every single space to make power as i will be knock limited so , if cooling fuel temp will rise the knock limit this would help to add another 2-3 psi of boost
I would be appreciated also someone look for everything that can help
- fuel temp
- air charge temp

Also i am considering the oil nozzle spray underneath the piston( factory design )if this can cool down piston and keep pushing power on “pump gas “

Thanks
victor.T

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:47 am

Keeping the inlet air temp as low as possible will also assist, as will the oil squirters.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to Tuning discussions