Connecting to C185 Via Router/Wirelessly

Forum for general discussions on engine tuning, not specific to a particular motec ECU

Connecting to C185 Via Router/Wirelessly

Postby Bencacka on Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:52 am

Hello!

I am currently working on a project that requires me to be able to watch M1 tune while the vehicle is driving. I am wondering if there is a way to connect a router or similar device to receive the live data wirelessly. Do I need a telemetry upgrade for the ECU or Dash? Or how would I go about this. Thanks.
Bencacka

Re: Connecting to C185 Via Router/Wirelessly

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:27 pm

Hi Ben,

Are you wanting to be able to remotely tune the M1 whilst the vehicle is moving, or just see the data coming off of the vehicle?

To remotely tune it you are going to require some sort of IPv6 Ethernet routing over a long range wireless network, this can be hit and miss as to connectivity and isn;t recommended as it is possible that engine damage could occur from doing this.

If you just want to be able to read the data from the vehicle, you will need a Dash/Logger (an L120 can be used for this) with the T2 functionality enabled, the M1 doesn't support T2 Telemetery.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Bencacka on Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:37 am

SDean wrote:Hi Ben,

Are you wanting to be able to remotely tune the M1 whilst the vehicle is moving, or just see the data coming off of the vehicle?

To remotely tune it you are going to require some sort of IPv6 Ethernet routing over a long range wireless network, this can be hit and miss as to connectivity and isn;t recommended as it is possible that engine damage could occur from doing this.

If you just want to be able to read the data from the vehicle, you will need a Dash/Logger (an L120 can be used for this) with the T2 functionality enabled, the M1 doesn't support T2 Telemetery.

Hello Stephen,

We are hoping to get the live data read out through M1 tune similar to what you would have when connected directly to the ECU while the vehicle is running. I understand that there will be some sort of time delay which wouldn't be an issue for us, as we would like to be working on an updated tune while the vehicle is driving, then bring the vehicle into the pits and upload the tune as you normally would. We are tying to expedite the tuning process by tuning with the live readouts rather than tuning through past logged data in I2 standard.

I am just curious if this is an option with our current hardware, and if it is a viable option. We are currently running a Motec C185 Dash and a M130 ECU. We have a router that can communicate in the IPv6 protocol but I was running into issues with M1 tune being able to receive the ECU signal.

Is the T2 Telemetry required to do this wireless connection or is that completely unrelated?

Apologies for my ignorance, and I appreciate all of your help!
Bencacka

Postby David Ferguson on Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:02 am

The solution is to run the car on a dyno. Live tuning nirvana!
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Ben,

T2 typically uses Cellular/Mobile network enabled modems for the communications, but it does not transmit the M1 Tune data over the link as there is not the bandwidth available to do so.

The WiFi router should be capable of communicating in the manner that you are wanting to do so, if it has the power and range. Without knowing the network and laptop configuration, I couldn't say why it isn't allowing communications between the M1 and M1 Tune.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to Tuning discussions