Dual knock sensors

SKM and OKM

Dual knock sensors

Postby Crasher on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:53 pm

VW VR6 3 litre 12 valve turbo.

I had pretty well made up my mind that the M600 with SKM is the ECU I need to use as the engine is 6 cylinder and I want to be able to fire the original triple coil wasted spark coil pack unit plus have single wideband lambda, DBW, traction/launch and knock. The problem is I would like everything on one board and so the M800 provides this with the OKM BUT in the case of both the SKM and OKM I cannot see if the use of dual knock sensors is possible as this is necessary and how the engine was equipped originally. Can anyone enlighten me?
Crasher

Re: Dual knock sensors

Postby mstech on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:51 pm

Have a look at the M1 ECU's, they do everything that you want, they can run upto 4 knock sensors onboard with a much easier to configure knock system, wide band lambda through an LTC and integrated DBW.
mstech

Postby Crasher on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:05 pm

I was not sure about the M1 series as the programming looked difficult for someone who is not an expert at mapping. I will look at them again.
Crasher

Postby mstech on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:46 am

If you use a GPA or GPR (Advanced function equivalent on the Mx00 series) then you do not have to worry about building a package to run the car, Build is only needed if you want to design a completely custom package. The actual tuning part of the GP packages is easier than a Mx00 series, provided that you get the initial setup done correctly, it looks daunting, but once you understand it, you will not want to use a "Gold Box" unit again.
mstech

Postby mstech on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:49 am

If you watch the webinars for the M1 series ECU's it make the whole process much easier.
mstech

Postby Crasher on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:43 pm

That all sounds positive, the installation is second nature for me as I am utterly obsessive about perfect wiring detailing and the initial set-up should be smooth going as I will not be under time pressure as I will build a plan for that in my own time over the preceding weeks. I will dedicate myself to some studying and webinars. I will contact my appropriate Motec dealer and get the pricing structure worked out so I can let my customer know. Thank you both for your help but I am sure I will need more!
Crasher

Postby tarmac terror on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:14 am

Just to confirm, as I don't see a reply to the OP's question.....

I have an RB26 with 2 knock sensors. The SKM pinout seems to show inputs for 4 knock sensors but the manual only ever refers to one input.

So can the SKM deal with dual factory sensor setup?? Seems pretty lame that it would only take 1 sensor input!!!??

TT
tarmac terror

Postby adrian on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 am

The SKM was originally designed with the intention of having 4 inputs however the firmware work was never completed.

The SKM has now been superseded as the M1 ECU's have knock inputs built in. Unfortunately this means that there will be no more development work on the SKM and it will only ever have a single input.
adrian
MoTeC

Return to Knock Modules