SKM to hear engine knocking

SKM and OKM

SKM to hear engine knocking

Postby farides on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm currently using the SKM module with tuning harness. Since I'm very new using this SKM module, how i can hear the engine knocking from SKM? and there is no specific software manager for this.

Is it necessary to connect to the hundred series ECU? For just to hear the knocking..

Thanks,
Farides
farides

Re: SKM to hear engine knocking

Postby minibiker on Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 am

You are correct there is no specific manager for the SKM. As far as I can tell the SKM requires an 8V supply so you will need to connect it to the ECU to power it up. Other than the power connections you do not have to connect the SKM to an ECU to listen for knock.
If you didn't get a copy of the manual with the SKM you can download it from the website http://www.motec.com.au/skm/skmdownload/, this should help answer your questions.
minibiker

Postby Holmz on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:45 pm

minibiker wrote:You are correct there is no specific manager for the SKM. As far as I can tell the SKM requires an 8V supply so you will need to connect it to the ECU to power it up. Other than the power connections you do not have to connect the SKM to an ECU to listen for knock.
If you didn't get a copy of the manual with the SKM you can download it from the website http://www.motec.com.au/skm/skmdownload/, this should help answer your questions.

I thought that the SKM gets the ignition timing from the ECU, or visa-versa, to work out the window when to listen for the knock?
Otherwise it would be listening all the 720 degrees, instead of just a specific period/phase after the ignition is supposed to happen.
Holmz

Postby minibiker on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:33 am

If you want to use the SKM to carry out knock control then you should use the knock window function so that the SKM only listens for knock at the correct crank angle as you have mentioned. However if you just want to listen for knock then you can do so without gating the signal via the knock window function.
minibiker

Postby Holmz on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:27 pm

OK I have a knock sensor and want to put it on an engine (with no Mxx and no SKM).
I want to run this into a 2 channel 48kHz/24bit recorder.

There are 2 pins on the unit - does this just go to the microphone input (TASCAM PR-10)?
Or does it get conditioned (amplified) and if so how much gain should put on it?
Holmz

Return to Knock Modules