Which gps and general info

Information about using GPS units with motec devices

Which GPS and general info

Postby tex675 on Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:11 pm

Hello to everyone and sorry if my English is not perfect. I’ve just bought a racetrack motorbike with a good motec sdl dash. I’ve also a starlane lap timer but I would prefer to have lap timing on the motec dash.
I’ve seen motec sell l-5 and l-10, but if I would want to plug a different gps (50hz) is it possible?
What feature does it need? Wath kind of port (is the correct word?) has? (I don’t think l-5 and l-10 have usb neither rs232).

Thank to everyone
tex675

Which gps and general info

Postby tex675 on Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:29 am

Hello to everyone,
I hope not to bother anyone.

I have just bought a motorbike with a Motec sdl dash.
I already have a starlane lap timer but it could be cool to have lap timing on my Motec sdl dash so I was searching for a gps receiver. I have seen that Motec sell the l-5 and the l-10.
It could be possible to connect another brand gps? I’m asking this just because I would prefer a 50hz gps.

Which feature do I have to search? (If it is possible to connect other brands). Which type of connector do I need?

Thanks
tex675

Re: Which gps and general info

Postby SOReilly on Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:28 pm

Hello,

The SDL is compatible with the current L10 GPS Receiver.

The L10 requires 5v power from the dash and will transmit RS232 data which the SDL receives on pin 34 - RS232 input.

The latest release of Sport Dash Manager includes the GPS - Standard RMC GGA template which is compatible with the L10 and can be selected by double clicking the RS232 section under 'Inputs'>'Communications...'.

SDL gps.JPG
SDL gps.JPG (61.05 KiB) Viewed 23121 times

Sport Dash Manager doesn't allow the user to create or modify the CAN comms templates. It may be possible to create the required cc7 templates using another dash manager but there are differences in how the SDL handles CC7s in comparison to the later dash loggers.

Scott
SOReilly
MoTeC

Return to GPS Information