Need advice on configuration of Open Loop setup

Information about using GPS units with motec devices

Need advice on configuration of Open Loop setup

Postby nafets on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:04 pm

Hi there,

I've got a C185 plus a GPS-L10 antenna.

I successfully set up the GPS beacons for Start and Finish, they're correctly recognized by the data logger.

open_loop.png
open_loop.png (18.65 KiB) Viewed 10439 times

During the event, there is the possibility to drive multiple laps on the open loop, with the distance between F and S not being counted.

My problem now is the following: Timing for lap 1 starts at S and stops at F. Then Lap 2 is measured from F to S. After that, from S to F lap 3 is measured.

This measuring of "lap 2" between F and S produces pointless fastet laps and is disturbing during data analyzation with i2.

Does anyone know how to tell the data logger to not count the distance between Finish and Start as new lap and simply discard the measured data in this period of time?

Currently my workaround is to set up the track as closed loop and to position a split time marker at the finish line, so at least my lap count isn't falsified. Still this doesn't feel like a proper final solution.

I'd appreciate your advice on this topic!
nafets

Re: Need advice on configuration of Open Loop setup

Postby adrian on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:14 am

The lap counter doesn't really work that way because we can't just discard the information in between the actual lap. It should however treat the part in between as an in/out lap and not include the lap time as a fastest lap.

I will add this to our system to investigate and fix.
adrian
MoTeC

Re: Need advice on configuration of Open Loop setup

Postby nafets on Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Hello Adrian,

used my incredible paint skills again :D

open_loop_in_out.png
open_loop_in_out.png (23.92 KiB) Viewed 10397 times

During my tests the actual Out (green) and In (red) Laps were detected correctly. In contrast the intermediate distance (blue) of around 400 meters was treated as an extra lap.

I'd highly appreciate a quick fix, because it would make data aqquisition for my Bachelor thesis much easier in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for your support.
nafets

Return to GPS Information