GPS Based Gear Detection and Traction Control

Information about using GPS units with motec devices

GPS Based Gear Detection and Traction Control

Postby mattims on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:06 am

I have setup the GPSL5 unit with my Motec M400 and am getting the GPS speed data properly. Looking at the logging it appears to work pretty well. I would like to use this speed information as ground speed for gear detection and also traction control.

Is this possible, I don't have the advanced options upgrade at the moment, but I dont really want to pay for it if it won't work with the GPS. Currently I can't get gear detection to work as it seems to work of ground speed. I could wire the wheelspeed sensors to the motec, but I don't really see the need/benefit of it since the gps speed and rpm/gear should provide sufficient data. Since it's an awd car driven/non driven slip calculation will be a bit hard to work with I think. I really wanted to calculate slip from rpm/gear (driven speed) and gps speed (ground speed).
mattims

Re: GPS Based Gear Detection and Traction Control

Postby Arve Flaat on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:00 am

Hi

For gear detection you must use a wheel speed sensor or the sensor at the gear box for the speedometer (If electronic).

For ground speed you use the GPS sensor.

TC will work with drive speed on speed sensors an ground speed at GPS.

AF
Arve Flaat

Postby mattims on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Thanks very much for that.

Will wire up the gearbox speed sensor as drive speed (for gear detection and TC). I guess that will work more reliably for gear detection anyway.
mattims

Postby jones23 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:33 pm

GPS detection device are mainly used to scans entire area around you for common broadcasting frequencies.
jones23

Return to GPS Information