SDC3 direct to 2-wire N14 speed sensors ?

Discussion and support for MoTeC's Mitsubishi and Subaru Diff Controllers

SDC3 direct to 2-wire N14 speed sensors ?

Postby phatbob on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi

with the SDC3 on an N14 style subaru (2 wire sensors) but not actually N14 (standalone harness) what is the proper direct wire method and settings ? These sensors are a bit oddball, tried everything from hall to mag and getting no results. Wired according to instructions although no instructions on the second wire from the sensor (as there are 2, and only 1 to hook up per wheel to the SDC3). There is a "common sensor" hookup on SDC2... nothing in the SDC3 instructions.

thx
phatbob

Re: SDC3 direct to 2-wire N14 speed sensors ?

Postby phatbob on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:26 pm

What I know is this about the sensors:

4.5-16.5v for wires that would normally go to the abs controller (the controller supplied this voltage)

signal wires which would normally go to abs controller are the signals which are a 5.9 - 16.8 mA rectangle waveform

so I am assuming I power them seperately (from something other than the SDC3), and hook the above mentioned signal wires to the SDC3

which I have tried, but what on earth shall we put in the configuration then ? Ive tried many numbers under hall (which seems like it should be) but cant get any sort of signal at all. also tried reversing polarity etc
phatbob

Postby OmarK on Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi,

I don't have enough information to confirm this but the wheel speed sensors on your car might be magneto-resistive type sensors which means that wiring them directly to the SDC3 or a dash will not work without some modification to the sensor wiring. These style of sensors are becoming more common, they are found in EVOXs and new Hondas from my experience. I have attached a document which should help you setup the sensors. If you get it working it would be good if you put the information back on the forum.
Attachments
CTN0007 Magneto Resistive Sensors.pdf
How to test and configure magneto resistive speed sensors
(169.37 KiB) Downloaded 1622 times
OmarK

Postby Robbied on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 am

Reviving an old thread, but the above document appears very useful.

I'm also now beginning to investigate wiring N14 (magneto-resistive type) wheel speed sensors directly into an SDC3 and wondered if anyone has got any further with it?
Robbied

Return to MDC and SDC