C127 and PDM software on Windows surface tablets

Discussion and support for the operating software of a range of MoTeC products

C127 and PDM software on Windows surface tablets

Postby the_bluester on Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 am

I am getting near the point of needing to replace the laptop i use for setting up my car, it is not really feasible for me to buy a laptop for the race car and another one for everything else.

Does anyone know if the C127 and PDM manager software runs in Windows 10S (I presume 10 S for Surface) which is used on the tablets? If it works properly then it could be a good option for me to cover all the bases usage wise as well as anything really can.
the_bluester

Re: C127 and PDM software on Windows surface tablets

Postby adrian on Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am

Although we haven't had a version of Windows 10S here to try out, we believe it only allows you to get applications through the Microsoft Store.

Unfortunately at this time we do not offer any versions of our software that can be downloaded in this manner. MoTeC software can only be installed in the Home and Pro versions of Windows 10.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby the_bluester on Wed May 09, 2018 12:08 pm

I was not aware of that restriction (Now confirmed by some searching)

There endeth my interest in any machine with that version of windows on it. Good move Microsoft, copy the aspect of the apple IOS ecosystem I loathe the most.

Edit, it looks as though some have w10 Pro on them so maybe they are still an option. I would want to trial install software on one first.
the_bluester

Postby adrian on Wed May 09, 2018 12:21 pm

After a bit more searching I found this on the Microsoft website:
"You can switch out of S mode easily at any time through the Microsoft Store within Windows. There is no charge for switching the mode. The switch is one-way; if you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to S mode. See below for important additional limitations when switching out of S mode on devices that use the Qualcomm Snapdragon processor."

It appears you can irreversibly turn 'S' mode off. However, I don't know exactly what this gives you. I don't know if you end up with a feature complete copy of Home/Pro and whether all the drivers/software can be installed as normal. My recommendation at this point would be to stay away from the 'S' versions as we simply don't have enough information about them at this time.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby the_bluester on Wed May 09, 2018 12:34 pm

To muddy the waters just a bit more. I asked the question as the one I looked at in passing on the weekend (random stop at a JB Hifi) has 10S on it but everything I have looked up online since you posted that restriction lists 10 Pro which is supposed to be the fully fledged version. Perhaps 10S has died the same death as Windows RT which similarly restricted software install.

I would love to think that people are tired enough of walled garden systems to leave them to the Apple IOS fanbois.
the_bluester

Postby the_bluester on Wed May 09, 2018 12:52 pm

Just to stir a little more mud into that water. It now appears that 10S is "Dead" and in some respects never really existed at all. Now you have windows 10 "with S mode" and that can apparently be toggled on and off!

10S was supposedly always 10 Pro with S mode switched on anyway, which is probably why the "Upgrade" to 10 Pro apparently only took minutes to complete.
the_bluester

Return to Other MoTeC Software