Constant / Math expression log file or worksheet?

Discussion and support for i2 Standard and i2 Pro applications

Constant / Math expression log file or worksheet?

Postby speedsport on Tue May 23, 2023 3:42 am

Hello -

I have linear shock pots on my formula car. I also have packers in the front shocks to limit bottoming under braking. I created a math channel that takes the clearance of the shock body to the packers at static ride height and subtracts the linear pot value to display the distance the packers are compressed. Positive is clearance, negative is compression.

The issue I have is each time I zero the shock pots when the car is on the platform, I have to start with a new clearance value of the packers as the constant. However, if I update the constant it changes it in all old log files, which I don't want.

Is there a way to keep the math expression tied to the worksheet, but the constant tied to the log file? Ideally I would not have to enter the constant in each log file, but only update it when it changes.
speedsport

Re: Constant / Math expression log file or worksheet?

Postby NathanB on Tue May 30, 2023 2:34 pm

In the maths window there is workspace maths, and log file maths.

Anything put in the log file maths is stored in the .ldx file for that log.

Maths window.jpg
Maths window.jpg (97.12 KiB) Viewed 4618 times
NathanB
MoTeC

Postby speedsport on Sat Jun 03, 2023 1:29 am

Thank you -

I didn't like the solution of having to add the constant to each log file. Instead I created constants in my SDL3 that will be logged. I created constants for the spring rates and packer clearance. This way they will be automatically carried over to each log file, and will remain the same value until changed. All I'll have to do is remember to update the constant values in the configuration file if anything changes.

I'll give this a try and see how it works out.
speedsport

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:53 am

If you are using I2 Pro, then answer is Setup Sheets. These are spreadsheets (per vehicle) with constants that vary over time. I2 is smart enough to pick up the proper constant based on the time of the log file. So if you change the rake of the car at 9am, and then download the session at 10:30, it will pick up the constants for things like rake, motion ratios, spring rates, etc.
Last edited by David Ferguson on Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby speedsport on Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:58 am

Thanks David,

I will look into using Setup sheets.

Michael
speedsport

Return to i2 Data Analysis Software