Motorcycle imu for lean angle

Discussion and support for i2 Standard and i2 Pro applications

Motorcycle imu for lean angle

Postby Shuma- gorath on Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:53 am

I wanted to share my experience trying to get a lean angle sensor that would be easy to set up and accurate enough for traction control applications plus others.
I first tried the Bosch m5.10 imu. A very good sensor but to get it to produce an accurate lean angle with maths became very difficult. The maths were extreme and never seemed to work correctly. This sensor is used by most of the major manufacturers so it can be done but I could not seem to get it to work 100% without getting errors.
I ended up searching for something else and I came across the gripone imu can. It cost the same amount as the Bosch sensor but it puts out a very accurate lean angle,pitch angle plus the usual xyz and ryp. No maths needed just wire it up and your ready to go. In my testing I did not encounter the usual errors and drift the Bosch sensor would experience. It also would never get lost and give false readings. Seems to be exactly what I was looking for.
So if anyone is looking for a good imu I would look into it.
Shuma- gorath

Re: Motorcycle imu for lean angle

Postby NathanB on Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:34 am

Another option is from E-Shock called the E-Lean, which is used by a lot of european superbike teams.

I believe they have since updated and called a DC Perception Lean
NathanB
MoTeC

Postby Shuma- gorath on Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 am

Yes that was actually my first option when I was looking but I could not find one of there distributors that would answer me back. If E-shock sold it direct I would have tried it but they did not seem to.
Shuma- gorath

Postby Ralle#67 on Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:02 pm

Does anyone know a distributor for the E Lean Sensor
in Europe?
I wrote to the company E shock, but they didn't answer me.
Ralle#67

Return to i2 Data Analysis Software