Time and distance of cursor position

Discussion and support for i2 Standard and i2 Pro applications

Time and distance of cursor position

Postby john_r on Fri May 31, 2024 1:37 am

Hello.
I am using a laptop with a high DPI 14" lcd with a resolution of 2560*1440. To ensure that the image is not too small, I use a scale of 175% in the windows settings (windows 11, x64). It is recommended to use an integer value of 200%, but then it will fit too little on the screen. In any case, the problem exists both on a fractional scale and on a integer scale.
To reproduce the problem, I use the example rally workspace with the example data file (Roger Outback, Belgrave test session).
As you can see in the attached image, the cursor is somewhere in the middle of the session, but the time and distance are not displayed (I have drawn a red line in the image). There is no change when moving the crusor.
If you set the scale to 100% in the Windows screen settings, then everything works correctly.
Attachments
motec_distance.png
time and distance of cursor position
motec_distance.png (376.45 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Last edited by john_r on Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
john_r

Re: Time and distance are not displayed when changing the sc

Postby john_r on Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:55 pm

Checked on version mi2_pro_1.1.6.0887-x64
The file open dialog works strangely.
motec1.6.png
mi2_pro_1.1.6.0887-x64 file open dialog
motec1.6.png (114.56 KiB) Viewed 429 times

Information about the time and distance of the cursor position is not displayed.
modec16_distance.png
mi2_pro_1.1.6.0887-x64 time and distance
modec16_distance.png (360.73 KiB) Viewed 429 times

On version mi2_pro_1.1.4.0456 everything works fine.
john_r

Re: Time and distance of cursor position

Postby john_r on Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:00 pm

On version 1.1.6.893 still not working.
The file opening dialog looks just as strange, the distance and time are not displayed.

There is no reaction to the message from develepopers. Perhaps I didn't describe the problem clearly enough?
john_r

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Jun 19, 2024 2:17 am

Certainly sounds like a bug. Make sure you report it via the I2 Menu Help->Send Feedback... Then look for the release notes on future releases to see if this has been addressed.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby NathanB on Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:41 am

Hi John,

Across all the PC's in our office we are unable to reproduce the issue you are experiencing of the value failing to update.

When scaling is set to a value other than 100%, this does lead to performance issues for some elements of i2 pro. The same can be said for Application DPI settings

Outside of the time graph, items in the task bars and drawing for the worksheet tabs are rendered by windows, whereas components, track map headings, report tables, data and value views all have the font and font sizing controlled in i2 under Tools > Options > Fonts

Rescaling - resized.png
Rescaling - resized.png (308.66 KiB) Viewed 324 times

I2 is not a DPI aware program and at this stage there is no plans to try and implement that functionality with the nature of the software (dots and lines) this would be a large body of work to implement.

A typical behaviour is that the time/distance values are slow to update. On my previous laptop (4k resolution screen 150% scaling) if i was to drag the cursor across the time graph, it would update the time and distance values at around 1hz, instead of real time. On my current machine (4k resolution 125% scaling) with more modern hardware i have no change in performance.

As it is not something we can influence in the software (we determine the values, this data is then passed to windows to render which is where a render delay or in your case failure to draw at all) all we can suggest is that:
- you check your direct x drivers are working and up to date (run dx diag):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/win ... 92228dfd85
- if your PC has a discrete graphics card, you may have better results ensuring that the discrete graphics card is used for any rendering of i2:
https://www.asus.com/au/support/faq/1044213/

Regards,

Nathan
NathanB
MoTeC

Postby john_r on Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:08 am

I updated the drivers for both video adapters (Intel uhd 620 and Geforce MX150).
dxdiag report no problem.

I did a few more tests: the problem exists on x64 versions. I tried versions
- 1.1.4.0689-x64
- 1.1.5.0085-x64
- 1.1.6.0893-x64

Everywhere there is a problem with displaying time and distance. Time and distance are updated only if you minimize the window to tray and expand it back.
This also works with datum cursor - data update only when minimize and restore window.
Datum cursor, before minimize:
datum_1.png
Two cursor, no data
datum_1.png (62.62 KiB) Viewed 214 times

After minimize:
datum_2.png
Minimize and restore, data present
datum_2.png (73.78 KiB) Viewed 214 times

The data is not updated slowly, it is not updated at all. Only after the window has been minimized and restored.

On the latest version for x86, 1.1.4.0456 there is no problem, everything works fine.

On 1.1.6.* versions summary informations in open file dialog is displaced. On 1.1.5.* no problem with it.

I tried running the application both on the built-in video card and on a discrete one. No difference, the problem looks the same.
john_r

Postby NathanB on Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:05 pm

So the difference between 1.1.5 and 1.1.6 was a change to the html rendering engine.

In Windows, the html engine was from IE (trident) up until it was changed over to the EdgeHTML engine used in Microsoft edge in Windows 10. As Windows 11 has gone through various revisions, the trident engine has been removed and emulation support for it reduced, with the expectation from Microsoft for everyone to update.

This is why the latest i2 (1.1.6) and T2 variants have switched over the html engine that used for rendering.

Your displaced information in the log file open is html rendering. We have not experienced this as yet, so will look into it. can you go to the search bar and type in 'winver' to run the windows version command line to check how up to date your windows 11 is.

The rendering of the display bar i have learned is handled by open GL.
NathanB
MoTeC

Postby john_r on Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:44 pm

Winver: windows 11 23H2 (build 22631.3737)
john_r

Return to i2 Data Analysis Software