Evo x Motec diff controller???

Includes expansion units, sensors, valves, wiring, communication cables etc.

Evo x Motec diff controller???

Postby Recklessevox on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:41 am

Hello my name is Nick. Im looking for a little bit of info on the motec diff controller for the Evo X. I have a 2014 usdm Evo x and was thinking of someday getting the motec doff controller and m800 ecu. Im looking to put most of the power if not all the power to the rear wheels and removing the parts associated up front for the fwd like the axles will be taken apart and only in the car to provide sealing functions. I remember watching some guys using a spool on there center diff for a evo 3 and were able to run the car in rwd with the engine still in a east to west position. I'd like to bring this car to the track and keep it as rwd for certain setups as much as I can so if I should weld the center diff or go with a motec controller I'd rather go with the motec if itll help me out with that. I believe you can apply 0% lock and thats what I've heard is similar to imitating rwd in these cars.
Recklessevox

Re: Evo x Motec diff controller???

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi Nick,

The M800 Plug in for the EVO X is no longer available, and stocks of the MDC2 are running low.

In your usage case, where you want to run the vehicle as a RWD only car, I would not rely on the centre differential to do this. There are a number of companies that provide a spool centre that replaces the OEM hardware and is stronger . There will always be some transfer of drive to the front when using a viscous coupling system as the ACD uses.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Recklessevox on Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:57 am

It won't be a rwd only car I would like to switch between awd and rwd depending on the track or or event that I end up going to. If you say that they make this hardware like a spool for the center diff where is it on the market for the evo x? Are all the evo x motec ecu's compatible with the diff controller?
Recklessevox

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:03 am

Hi,

From my understanding of the way that the Mitsubishi ACD works, it is not possible for the system to deliver 100% power to one axle only, the base split is 50/50 and the ACD removes the slip difference between the two axles, so the more that the ACD is driven, the greater the lockup between the two axles. If the ACD is not energised then the split remains at 50/50. It is not like the ATTESSA system used in the R32-R34 skylines that are RWD until slip is detected and then it transfers the drive to the front axle.

There used to be a company in Australia that sold a replacement centre diff assembly that removed the front differential from the transfer case and made the vehicle RWD, but I cannot find any information on it online.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to Accessories and other MoTeC products