CAN protocol used by E816/E888 and communication with M130

Includes expansion units, sensors, valves, wiring, communication cables etc.

CAN protocol used by E816/E888 and communication with M130

Postby lotuselise on Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:21 am

Hello!
I have made some analog to CAN converters that send sensor signals at 200Hz over CAN bus (1Mbit/s).
I send data as two 16-bit channels in each of two CAN messages – one on ID, another on ID+1. I can freely program the ID.

Code: Select all
[ID][XXYY0000]
[ID+1][ZZWW0000]
where X,Y,Z,W are sensors' values, and ID is programmable.

Now I planning to use them to send sensor data to Motec M130. To do that under GPA/GRP is it possible to imitate the expanders' CAN protocol(s) (E888/E816)? I mean could I set the IDs to something that motec expanders use to transmit Analog input voltages?
I have dowloaded the user manual, but I cannot find any information there on the protocol used, I only see that IDs used for 200Hz transmission are 0x0F0 or 0x0F8. What does OR mean and where could I find details?
Also would like to hear from motec experts if that would be possible to use and log this data in M130 GPA/GPR

Thank you!
lotuselise

Re: CAN protocol used by E816/E888 and communication with M1

Postby adrian on Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:35 am

The standard ECU CAN receive will work fine with the messaging you have already got.

The E888 uses compound/multiplexed messaging with the ID's in the first 3 bits of the first byte. It will be much easier to simply setup the ECU to receive your messaging than trying and emulate the E888 messaging.

I only see that IDs used for 200Hz transmission are 0x0F0 or 0x0F8. What does OR mean and where could I find details?

The base ID of the E888 can be set to be either 0x0F0, 0x0F4, 0x0F8 or 0x0FC. This way you can have multiple units on the same bus.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby lotuselise on Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Thank you, Adrian!
These are very good news. Would you mind giving me some more details on standard CAN receive setup.
The information I want to send via CAN to m130 to be used and logged is:
4*brake rotor temperature
4*shock potentiometers
Brake pedal angle
Steering wheel angle
Front break pressure
Front and rear ride height (laser)
Fuel level
Coolant pressure (secondary)
Coolant temperature (secondary)

By being used I mean for example that brake pedal data could be used in the launch control strategy
While coolant data should be used in engine protection strategy and used to control the electric water pump (I measure the efficiency of electric water-pump)

Could this data be imported via CAN that way?
Could also traction control and map switch values (from 9-position switches) be also imported is CAN?

Thank you in advance!
lotuselise

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:40 am

You will have to create a package using a development license to add many of those channels (brake temps, suspension pots, ride height, etc) to the M130 since none of the standard MoTeC GPxx packages have those channels.

It does have brake pressures, fuel level, coolant pressure, so for example to receive any of those over CAN, you simply select as the sensor resource something like "CAN 1 Offset 2", instead of an Analog channel.

You should download M1 Tune, and the GPA Package and try setting it up for yourself. All the documentation is in the help functions for each channel (press F1 with a channel selected).
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby lotuselise on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:19 am

Thank you, David!

Isn't it possible to log channels as some sort of generic sensor data under GPxx? It seems to be a huge investment into Development package just to be able to log few suspension channels... With such powerful data-logging capabilities it is quite strange that I need Development just to create few extra sensor channels.

Thank you for the advice on channel setup it is really straightforward now!

Regards,
Kirill
lotuselise

Postby David Ferguson on Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:43 am

And alternative to a developer package is to have someone create a partner package for you. Eventually, I think you will find lots of choices in the market -- say a package for folks like yourself that want to use the M1 as a complete vehicle logger perhaps with your expansion devices -- as well as low-cost pacakages particularly suited for a single class of racing.

If you are interested in discussing having a partner package developed for your needs, please contact me.

David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
Paso Robles, California
ferg@veracitydata.com
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to Accessories and other MoTeC products