2006 STI plug in M800 idle problem

Covers current and earlier Subaru and Mitsubishi Plug-In systems

2006 STI plug in M800 idle problem

Postby cammck510 on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi All,

FWIW, I'm following this one up for a good friend who is trying to help another 'good friend' with his 2006Sti and the M800 plug in. (i.e. not my problem just trying to help another MoTec buddie )

Situation is this;

Stock 2006 STI with the exception of larger fuel pump and turbo (un-molested long motor including injectors)

With factory ecu plugged in, idle Lambda = 1.0 and everything is happy

With M800, idle lambda is .78-80 (rich) - but when you try and trim it out on the fuel map it will drop a cylinder.

We have considered this;

Factory Ecu can control fuel pressure - M800 doesn't

Therefore at idle a higher fuel pressure with same injector duration means we have to compensate on the fuel map

Idle voltage and Injector dead time compensation - 13.8V and even then if we adjust it on the fuel map it shouldn't be a problem, why would it then drop a cylinder?

Wiring/Fuel system - all good with factory ECU, only an issue when plugging in the M800

Lambda measurements - Motec PLM

'Buddie's' have discussed with Ross with limited success (not having a go at you Ross, just asking for more suggestions or direction here because we are lost for ideas).

Many thanks

Cam
cammck510

Re: 2006 STI plug in M800 idle problem

Postby stevieturbo on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:15 am

Is it dropping fuel or spark when it loses a cylinder ?

And which cylinder ?

Obviously the base map supplised is only a base map, and tuning will be required for it to run correctly.

Fuel pump control is a non-issue...unless the fuel pump is getting turned off. And I'd doubt the OE ecu can control fuel pressure. The mechanical FPR does this, with no connection to the ecu whatseover.
stevieturbo

Re: 2006 STI plug in M800 idle problem

Postby RossB on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:35 am

This has been resolved now. It turned out to be a combination of things. The Cam Control settings were not correct, I was told that the plugs on one bank were black while the others were a normal colour so I assume that the cams were doing different things on each bank.

The other problem was the injection timing. To idle at lambda 1 the EOI timing needed to be set at 450 degrees otherwise the engine would not idle smoothly.
RossB

Return to M800 Plug-In ECUs