New User: Sensor Setup

MoTeC supplied sensors, valves or wiring discussion

New User: Sensor Setup

Postby hamer on Thu May 25, 2023 10:20 am

I'm a new C125 + E888 user and I need a little help getting up to speed on our system. I’ve managed to figure out most of the logging/screen configuration/lights and basic use.

Where I need help is with setting up a couple sensors. We have a few AEM temp sensors, one pressure sensor, two potentiometers and a couple IR sensors.

If we could start with the AEM temp sensor and one potentiometer it would be a huge help. I tried searching through the user manual and some of MoTeC’s articles but I’m still a little confused on how to setup the sensors in the software, how to integrate the E888 and how best to wire.

If this kind of stuff is documented somewhere I’m happy to read manuals, just haven’t had much luck finding it.

Temp Sensor (30-2013): https://www.aemelectronics.com/sites/de ... %20Kit.pdf
Potentiometer: https://www.hgsind.com/product/ilps-19- ... ints?v=231

I appreciate the help!
hamer

Re: New User: Sensor Setup

Postby Stephen Dean on Thu May 25, 2023 2:37 pm

Hi,

This is presuming that you have the I/O option enabled in the C125. If you don't then these will not work.

I have attached a calibration file for that Temp sensor, If you open the Devices window (Connections | Devices) select one of the available AT inputs and select a suitable channel (for example, Engine Oil Temperature) to be displayed. Once this is selected, click on the Load Cal button and use the import function to import the calibration file. Select this file once it has been imported and click Ok to load it.

With the Linear Pots, select one of the AV inputs, choose a channel (you may need to tick the Show unallocated Channels tick box to see all of the channels, select one of the Suspension position channels and click OK. Double click on the channel to bring up the calibration window, what you need to do here is use the Read Value button to read the voltage of the pot at it's closed and open points, with one of them setting the 0mm position, and the other the full travel. This will give you a range of movement to work with. Once this is done, save the changes and send them into the dash.

When you have the suspension pots calibrated, you can then set a zero position by going to Online | Zero Sensors. Create a Group for the sensors, and then add the required sensors into the group, when the vehicle is resting on it's suspension with the normal loads, you can zero the sensors so that you have a positive and negative value for the suspension travel.

The E888 is added through the Devices window as well, on the bottom left hand corner there is an Edit... button, clicking on this gives the option of Add... Selecting this will bring up the Connections Properties window that allows for the configuration of the E888 communications. Once this is done the E888 inputs are treated the same as the internal inputs.
Attachments
AEM Pro 18th Temp Sensor.C2T
(688 Bytes) Downloaded 236 times
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby hamer on Fri May 26, 2023 2:44 am

Stephen,

Super helpful, thank you!

A few follow up questions:
1) When adding the E888 how do I decide on the Base address and CAN Bus? Anything noteworthy in the logic there?
2) How do I edit the cal file you sent? I tried the change cal button but it doesn't save the adjusted values I save in the table.
3) Wiring for the sensors, I assume Pin 16 (AT1) goes to one of the pins on the temp sensor, and the second pin goes to pin 9?

I know this is all very elementary, I appreciate the help!
hamer

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri May 26, 2023 11:58 am

Hi,

1, Unless the E888 has been modified, the Base Address should be 0x0F0, CAN BUs is determined by which Bus it is wired to in the C125.

2, Not sure what is happening there, I can open the cal on my laptop, change the cal and then when I click OK it saves the changes. When you imported the cal file, was it marked as Read Only in the calibrations list?

3, Correct.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to Sensors, Valves and Wiring