EGT sensors for pre turbo use

MoTeC supplied sensors, valves or wiring discussion

EGT sensors for pre turbo use

Postby the_bluester on Fri May 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Just wondering if the R900 sensor is suitable for use in a pre turbine environment in a petrol engined track car? I am really looking to have pre turbine monitoring but the last thing I want to do is have it eat the tip of a sensor that is not up to that environment. Preference is for a sensor that I can hook up to an AV input direct without needing an amplifier.
the_bluester

Re: EGT sensors for pre turbo use

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri May 04, 2018 4:11 pm

The R900 sensor is not available, and would not be suitable for use pre turbo due to it's lack of range and resolution above 600 degrees. I have looked for a suitable range thermistor style EGT sensor as a replacement for the R1000 but have had no luck.

For use in this location, I would recommend a K-Type thermocouple with an enclosed tip.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby greenamex2 on Fri May 04, 2018 6:13 pm

Sorry to hijack the thread. Is the R900 planned to be available at any point? Was going to use on an NA application.
Motec CDL3+M130+LTCD+MDD+PDM15+PDM16M
Nissan VQ30DE fitted to an AM Sportscars EX2 with a Hewland HP 2000
greenamex2

Postby the_bluester on Sat May 05, 2018 9:13 am

No problem with a Hijack, I have pretty much got the answer I needed up front, not I just need to track down a suitable K type and amplifier. It is a pity, I like thermistor types as they are easy and just hook up direct to an AV input but if the MoTeC guys can't find one I don't fancy my chances.
the_bluester

Return to Sensors, Valves and Wiring