PLM Rs232 Connection to Dyno

Discussion and support for the MoTeC PLM and LTC's

PLM Rs232 Connection to Dyno

Postby Mayfair86 on Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:11 pm

Morning all,
We are just coming to the finishing stages of installing our brand new Land and Sea DYNOmite engine dyno. I am now going through the processes of getting communications between the computer system and the boards which seems to be working fine.
We have 2 x Motec PLMs which we use in some of our cars for set up and ultimately want to use on the dyno set up, initially I was going to set them up on one of the 0-5v signal inputs into the loom however after doing some reading it would be easier for us, and more accurate, to use the serial RS232 connection.
The Land and Sea DYNOMAX software is very customisable and supports lots of 3rd party inputs and outputs, however I have never played with setting up and RS232 connections. I know in the Motec manual it has the RS232 message format in Appendix N but I have no idea what to do with that information as the I/O window in the software asks for lots of different information.
I have also wondered whether to go down the CAN route but this seems even more complicated to me.
Any help, advice or ideas where I can go to get the relavent information or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Josh
Mayfair86

Re: PLM Rs232 Connection to Dyno

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:13 am

Hi Josh,

We can supply the information required to read the messages transmitted out of the PLM's for you, but to read them into the L&S Dyno will need L&S themselves to provide guidance on how their systems need to have that information configured in their receive templates.

There may be another user of one of these Dyno's on this forum that has done this work and who can help you, but as these Dyno's are not sold in Australia we haven't directly worked on them. You could try the L&S support forums if they have one, otherwise I would contact them directly for information on this.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Re: PLM Rs232 Connection to Dyno

Postby Mayfair86 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the reply, The info about reading the messages, is that the info thats in the manual Appendix N?

Any further info would be greatly appreciated. I am doing alot of research online and trying to get my head around the protocols of RS232 in order to try and understand how to input the information.

I am currently trying to contact L&S as they have a very helpful technical help line but unfortunately its proving tricky at the moment as they have just gone into administration.

I have attached a photo of the input screen of the L&S software in case there is anything that jumps out?

Many Thanks for the help.

Josh
Mayfair86

Return to PLM & LTC