Coil Characterization for Mitsubishi F6T568

Includes MoTeC CDIs, Ignition Expanders

Coil Characterization for Mitsubishi F6T568

Postby glausb23 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:06 am

Hello,
I'm wondering if anyone could provide me with coil characterization data for the Mitsubishi F6T568 ignition coil.

I found an excel spreadsheet in another forum post which was provided for this coil that contained an ignition dwell table based on battery voltage level, however it is stated in the initial ignition configuration webinar that suggested settings for minimum and maximum ignition charge limits can be provided by MoTeC if they have done a coil characterization on your particular coil.

Just wondering if either someone who works for MoTeC directly, or someone who runs these coils with success could offer suggestions on what I should set for ignition charge limits (min and max) --assuming a coil characterization has been done on this coil at some point in the past.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Benjamin
glausb23

Re: Coil Characterization for Mitsubishi F6T568

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:58 am

Hi Benjamin,

I have attached the dwell table for this coil.

Are you talking about the Ignition Coil Charge Time Minimum/Maximum and Ignition Coil Charge Limit Minimum/Maximum parameters in M1? If so, I would leave the ICCL Min at -50% and the ICCL Max at 20%, with the ICCT Min/Max being automatically calculated. In all of the testing that I have done on the coils, there are only a few, very specific coils that have needed to have different settings used here.
Attachments
F6T568.xls
(89 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby glausb23 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:24 am

Thank you, yes, I was looking for the ignition charge time min and max values. I will set them up as -50% and 20% as you said.

On a similar note, could you lead me toward a good value to set for the Ignition Driver Spark Duration? As of now I have it set to 1.0ms to match the value shown in the webinar. This is going on a Yamaha R6 engine which is capable of achieving 15,000+ RPM. I am using the MoTeC IGN4 to drive the coils. I could not find this value on the IGN4 data sheet.

From my understanding, the Ignition Driver Spark Duration value defines the minimum amount of off time between dwell events on the coils so as to not have overlapping dwell events at high RPM's. Does 1.0ms sound like a good value to keep the coils from burning out on my application?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Benjamin
glausb23

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:54 am

Hi,

I have not found a reason to change the minimum Spark Duration from 1ms in all of the installations and testing that I have done. The testing process for the coils when a calibration is done puts the coils under pressure but even firing a slower dwelling coil at high (10,000+ rpm wasted spark) outputs have I seen a need to change the minimum duration.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby glausb23 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:44 pm

Great, thank you for that information.

One other question I have for you if you don't mind--for the Yamaha R6, Yamaha specifies in the OEM Service manual that spark timing is setup as 10 degrees per 1300rpm engine speed. Because it is not stated otherwise, I'm assuming this would mean that spark is advanced 10-degrees for every 1300rpm increase, and likewise retarded 10 degrees for every 1300 rpm decrease in engine speed.

With this engine being capable of engine speeds of 15,000 rpm +, this would call for approximately 115 degrees of spark advance at 15,000 rpm. The M1 Tune software allows maximum timing advance and retard limits of 90 degrees bTDC and -90 deg bTDC respectively. Thus, it would seem as though it is not possible to supply enough spark advance for peak RPM's of this engine with M1 Tune. Do you have any input on this? I currently have my Ignition Timing Limit Advance at the maximum possible value of 90 deg bTDC and my Ignition Timing Limit Retard at the maximum -90bTDC.

Do you believe this is reasonable for my setup? I would highly doubt that M1 Tune Software is truly incapable of supporting sufficient spark advance/retard for this engine, as the features and functionality of this software is truly above and beyond any other tuning software I've seen.

As always, any input on this is greatly appreciated.

Benjamin
glausb23

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:57 pm

Some of the motorbike engines that I have looked at the service manuals have some strange numbers for the ignition timing, with another brand having the base ignition timing at 390 degrees. This is because they use the reference point on the crank to base their timing from, and not TDC compression as per the M1.

We have run a number of the R6 engines and their timing numbers are usually around the 35 ~ 45 degree mark.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby glausb23 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:49 am

Hello,
Thank you for the feedback once again. Are you saying that the maximum advance you typically see on these R6's at peak RPM's is around 35-45 degrees bTDC? If so, I will set the advance/retard limits accordingly.

Thank you,
Benjamin
glausb23

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:38 am

Hi Benjamin,

From looking at the tuning data that I have, that is the typical peak timing numbers that I can see being used in the R6 engines.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby glausb23 on Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:25 pm

Sounds good, thank you for the help and advice!
glausb23

Return to Ignition systems