Motec cdi8 with msd hvc2 coils

Includes MoTeC CDIs, Ignition Expanders

Motec cdi8 with msd hvc2 coils

Postby PetarL on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Trying to find some info around on running the motec cdi 8 with the msd hvc2 coils.

Msd recommend you only use there ign boxes.

These coils are not cheap at around 220us each plus postage. And I need 8 of them, so really only want to buy if I know they are going to work well.

I have seen a fair few people running the msd blaster as coils with the motthe c cdi with no real issues.

Apart from those two are there any other recommendations on high end cdi coils?

The aem dumb coil?

Thanks
PetarL

Re: Motec cdi8 with msd hvc2 coils

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Exactly what do you need to burn ?

Is it nitro or something ?

If not...and even if you do, the IGN1A's would do fine without the need for any silly boxes....or even some basic LS coils will probably be fine.
stevieturbo

Postby PetarL on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:47 am

It's a nitrous high compression small block v8.

Runs on e85

I have a set of the aem smart coils here (ign1a's) that I'm wiring into a rx7 time attack car.

I suppose the biggest worry with them is they claim a 18amp current draw which is crazy when you need 8 of them.

I already have the cdi8 (doubles as a ign expander) so I'm planning on using it.

Thanks
PetarL

Postby stevieturbo on Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:36 am

PetarL wrote:It's a nitrous high compression small block v8.

Runs on e85

I have a set of the aem smart coils here (ign1a's) that I'm wiring into a rx7 time attack car.

I suppose the biggest worry with them is they claim a 18amp current draw which is crazy when you need 8 of them.

I already have the cdi8 (doubles as a ign expander) so I'm planning on using it.

Thanks

Take any current draw with a pinch of salt. Current draw will depend on how much you dwell them, and that draw is rising from 0 to that max over the dwell period. It is not a permanent current.
The coils themselves have only very small connectors, so it's clear they arent expecting huge currents through them.

Last time I tested my own at around 4.5ms, each coil was pulling around 7-8A max, and their claims for mj output etc are only at 2.5ms dwell, so they'd use very low current at that.
Even for a high CR n/a build you probably wouldnt even need 4.5ms dwell.

But guys have taken those to 2500hp on methanol on V8's so you should be more than well covered at low dwells.
stevieturbo

Return to Ignition systems