SLM powered by 8v

Discussion and support for MoTeC's Shift Light Module

SLM powered by 8v

Postby Martin on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm

hi,

Is it a problem to run an SLM from the ECU or SDL 8v output?
Martin
Pro User

Re: SLM powered by 8v

Postby JamieA on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:52 pm

Martin,
the SLM really does need 12v to operate correctly. It may (im not sure here about this one) work on 8v, but I wouldnt guarentee that it would work all of the time, especially if you are trying to run all of the lights at high brightness levels.

-Jamie
JamieA

Postby Martin on Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:44 am

Hi Jamie,

It does work...I just dont know how much current it draws at 8v? Any specs?
Martin
Pro User

Postby JamieA on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Am trying to find out, but so far havent found anything.

Have you tried all 8 lights on solid full brightness for an extended period of time?

-jamie
JamieA

Postby Martin on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:18 pm

I did run them on full brightness yes, but i cant remember running them white full brightness which must draw the must current. I ran the SLM for a couple of minutes fidling around. Not a full time installation.
Martin
Pro User

Postby C4a0s on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:55 am

JamieA wrote:Martin,
the SLM really does need 12v to operate correctly. It may (im not sure here about this one) work on 8v, but I wouldnt guarentee that it would work all of the time, especially if you are trying to run all of the lights at high brightness levels.

-Jamie

hi jamie,

on this topic, i realised that in some documents, there are conflicting info in the sense that the SLM's doc..it mentions connecting to 12V but in the application drawing (i think) it refers to 8V from ECU. Also, in the ECU manual, there is info on how to wire the CAN bus (terminating resistor etc)...but maybe it would be useful to include that small bit of info in other docs like the SLM manual as well?

I didnt know that if i had the UTC connected on the CAN bus then i dont need additional terminating resistors or that i had to set up the CAN bus for SLM transmit =P Maybe a FAQ or troubleshooting section could be included?
C4a0s

Postby Martin on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:59 am

By the way....

An SLM will not work unless the CAN bus is terminated, even if the bus is just 200mm long
Martin
Pro User

Postby C4a0s on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:58 pm

hi,

i've connected a terminating resistor and my SLM works fine but sometimes it just doesnt light up. so i took out the wire from where i routed it and suddenly it works again. anyone knows why its so unstable? interference? the green and white wires are twisted already.

thanks in advance..
C4a0s

Return to SLM