SLM each led variable intensity/brighness

Discussion and support for MoTeC's Shift Light Module

SLM each led variable intensity/brighness

Postby Lolo la torche on Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:15 am

Hi,

I Have a M800 Ecu and SLM used as a shiftlight and lots of warnings. I don't have any dash.

The brighness is a lot too much at night but, for track use, the brightness settings have to be high. As I don't want to make adjustements in the conf each time, I was looking for a way to make the brighness vary.

I saw on Ecu Manager that there is an intensity setting that can affect each led independantly (surrounded in red). But I don't understand how it works.

In fact, as i don't high rev at night on road, I would like the 4 first LED to be settled @20 or 30, then next 2 settled@60 then 80.

Could someone help me to do that?
Lolo la torche

Re: SLM each led variable intensity/brighness

Postby Sean on Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:31 pm

I'll preface this by saying I have not done this myself, having always had a logger to drive our SLM....

As far as I can tell, the led's cannot be controlled individually for intensity by the ecu. Looks like you can wire a potentiometer to a spare av input and define it as a user input number 1 through 8. Make a custom calibration where possibly .3 volts has a value of 0 and say 4.7 volts is 100 (actual values depend on the potentiometer and vehicle). Turning the dial on the pot should theoretically give variable brightness. The area you have circled is just about defining which user input the ecu looks at for a brightness value to use.
Sean

Postby Lolo la torche on Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:12 am

Ok, Thanks a lot!
I see what you mean. This is the solution to make vary the whole intensity of the SLM. Maybe I will use it if I can't find the way to make it in then conf ;)

This (surrounded in red) is why I thougt it was possible to make a different brighness by LED.

Maybe is it possible only with a dash?
Lolo la torche

Postby adrian on Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 am

The ECU is only able to change the brightness of all the LED's at once. The Dashes allow brightness control of individual patterns.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Lolo la torche on Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:44 am

Well, that's what I was afraid of...

Thank you!
Lolo la torche

Postby Sean on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Do you want the shift lights to be variable brightness all the time or just at night?
Sean

Postby Lolo la torche on Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:46 pm

As I understood that it was difficult to have a day and a night mode, and as i don't (or rarely) reach high rpm at night, I had the idea to have low lights on the first 4 LED, then 2 medium brightness LED, then high intensity for the whole LED in red (from 7500rpm). Like that, This could prevent brightness nuisance at night.

For example (real RPM to be define, I don't remember my last conf ^^), it could be something like that

From 4500 rpm : 2 blue low brigthness LED
From 5000 rpm: 2 blue + 2 green (all 4 low brightness) LED
From 6000 rpm: 2 blue+2green+2 orange medium brightness LED
From 7000 rpm: 2 blue+2 green+2 orange+2 red high brightness LED
From 7500 rpm: 8 red high brigthness LED
Lolo la torche

Postby adrian on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:36 am

Setting up night and day mode is easy, that's exactly what the setup you circled in your original post is for.

You simply wire a switch into the ECU (this could come from the lighting system in the car depending on voltages and available ECU inputs) configure one of the user inputs for the brightness you want at each level and then select that user input for the brightness control in the SLM setup.
adrian
MoTeC

Postby Sean on Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:34 pm

This question is directed at Adrian... Just throwing an idea out there to get variable brightness...

How about define an auxiliary output as rpm, then wire it to a digital input. Setup user input to read the digital input, setup table hz or rpm / brightness.. sound doable? I don't have an ecu here to try it.
Sean

Postby adrian on Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:09 pm

Yes that will most probably work (would have to be tested), but remember all of the LED's will change brightness not just a select few.
adrian
MoTeC

Next

Return to SLM