SLM Issue

Discussion and support for MoTeC's Shift Light Module

SLM Issue

Postby cid042 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:28 am

Hi all,

I have a strange issue with the SLM I have added on my Porsche 2008 997 cup :

* I first connected it to the dash CAN last winter without any resistor and baboom ! it worked like a charm for the first part of the season.

* Then I had an ECU nightmare that lasted so long... After having changed the ECU, the car was fine, but no SLM anymore.

* Tested with another one, just in case : Nothing

* Read the Motec forums, added a 100 ohm resistor on the CAN wires, SLM side : Nothing

* In the Dash manager - Communication, I see a "slave device" on CAN 6 which should be the SLM.

* Have checked the cables continuity, which is ok

Would anyone have any advice ?
cid042

Re: SLM Issue

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 am

How are you testing the SLM?

Have you checked the dash configuration to make sure the SLM is setup to do something?
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby cid042 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi David,

Sure it is. It was working well as shift light and warning light before. I have also checked and redone all the config, just in case.

I test it by simulating an activation condition (warning - rpm > 1000 without any oïl pressure - or shift - rpm + oïl pressure + gear - for example)
cid042

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:34 pm

Some things I suggest:

- verify that you have 12V power at the SLM connector.
- verify that you have the CAN bus terminated by measuring the resistance across the CAN-Hi and CAN-Lo. YOu should see 30 - 120 ohm.
- add a condition that will always trigger (highest priority), so you'll know right away if it's working. For example, make the outer most LED's light some color when Ground Speed or RPM is zero.
- double-check the pins & sockets in the DTM connector haven't backed out -- it happens. Remove the orange wedge locks to confirm or re-position the pins if necessary.

Since this happened when you had ECU issues -- and the CAN bus attaches to the ECU -- perhaps something happened to the CAN bus there (like a terminator is broken or was removed). The test for CAN bus resistance should help you understand if your new terminator is the only one on the bus -- if it is, then you may need to terminate the bus at the ECU end.

Lastly, you might want to upload your config, so we can take a look. If you prefer to email it to me directly, that's OK -- ferg@veracitydata.com
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby cid042 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:20 am

Hi David,

Many thanks, I will try all that and am gonna send you my config by e-mail.
cid042

Return to SLM