First Time Setup

Discussion and support for MoTeC's Shift Light Module

First Time Setup

Postby Stretch on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:15 am

Ok guys..sorry but I'm new to this game.

I decided to invest in the SLM instead of an AUX shift light for my Honda 600 which has CAN Bus between the ECU and SDL dash. I opened the SDL dash boot and made all the mods necessary which included CAN Hi/Lo, Battery Pos and Battery Neg...so I hook up the SLM and turn on the ignition....no lights flashing or nothing..mmmmm
Then I go into the ECU Manager and see options for CAN Bus SLM....so I choose CAN 1 Data and select 41???
After this I then go into the SDL config and try to setup so comms in the 'Input'...Communications...
The truth is I didn't have a clue how to set it up and wondered if I had wired it right??
Then I went into Functions (SDL) and 'Shift Light Module' and created a condition for the lights to come on if engine temp equaled less that 60 degrees. Saved the config and sent it to the dash...Bingo!!!! I was blinded.
The good news is that it's obviously wired right as I have some control but how on earth did I configure it? Was it the ECU part or does it work straight out of the box?
Now I'm wondering what the difference is between the ECU setup and SDL setup and which one does what?
How do I setup my shift light table for RPM?

Stretch

Re: First Time Setup

Postby Stretch on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:57 am

Guys

Does each CAN device have it's own CAN ID that is automatically recognised within the CAN BUS?

Sorry if I'm a little late with this but I see a CAN setup in the ECU and the Dash and wondered which one should be configured or does it pickup automatically?

Thanks
Stretch

Re: First Time Setup

Postby Mazi on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:51 am

Stretch wrote:Does each CAN device have it's own CAN ID that is automatically recognized within the CAN BUS?

With the basic CAN protocol IDs or address are not necessary connected to the devices. IDs are usually connected to the messages. Each device on the bus can send message with the same ID in preamble. That's why it is so easy to confuse SLM sending data from different sources to the same 41dec or 29hex ID.

It will not be recognized automatically because there is no arbiter to do this job. In this case there are no masters and no slaves.
You can find Motec predefined setups for most of devices. Sometimes they are called templates. So you don't have to know all about CAN Bus protocol. On the other hand there is plenty of room to play with your own setups.

But before before... Do not forget that CAN Bus will work only if it is terminated with 100 ohm resistors on each side of the bus. I think that at least 90% of troubles with CAN are because of bad or no termination.
Mazi

Return to SLM