PDM30 Porsche 911 Safari Wiper High Speed Issue

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

PDM30 Porsche 911 Safari Wiper High Speed Issue

Postby impLODE on Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:43 pm

Hello, I am having some trouble with the High Speed Wiper setup on a PDM30 for a Porsche 911 Safari.

Low Speed Wiper works fine, the wiper parks everytime.
I have linked the outputs 9 & 10 in the software but when turning Wiper High ON, the amp draw spikes to 20amps and after a few cycles, the output turns off.

I have observed the Wiper Brake Switch goes active High (0>1) at above 11V but I am not able to find the right settings to allow Wiper High Speed to run continously.

Is there any tips at finding the correct setting, so far I have been changing Channel True and False voltages trying to find the right value but after a number of attempts I am starting to doubt this is where the issue lies.

File atttached has the current settings that I am using for Wiper Low, High and Wiper Brake.
Attachments
911 Help.pdm
(27.2 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
impLODE

Re: PDM30 Porsche 911 Safari Wiper High Speed Issue

Postby SOReilly on Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:50 am

If you are drawing in excess of 20A on output 10 it is likely going into over-current protection.

You will need to measure how much current the high speed motor is drawing in operation as 20A sounds excessive.

If the wiring is undersized or there is a bad connection causing high resistance this could cause the current to exceed the max setting and the PDM will disable the output.
SOReilly
MoTeC

Postby GWRMOTORSPORT on Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:01 am

Hi impLODE

assuming you have a version 2 hardware PDM and that the park switch goes to ground to park, the usual way most wiper motors park by generative braking, the attached pdm file should help, Also make sure that the wiper switches are working independently of one another, i;e when switch 1 is grounded switch 2 isn't and vice versa.
I would also disconnected the switched 12v to the motor so your only left with,

SLOW from PDM output 9, Pin A2
FAST from PDM output 10, Pin A4
PARK to PDM input 2, Pin A19
GROUND, a good chassis ground

Hope this helps
Steve
GWR Motorsport
Attachments
911 Help V2.pdm
(32.2 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
GWRMOTORSPORT

Postby impLODE on Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:44 pm

Hi Steve,
I will double check the ground and see if this wiper config works out for me.
Many thanks for the help, I will update the thread with the results once I get back to the car.
Cheers!~
impLODE

Postby impLODE on Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:10 am

Hi Steve,

The test didn't workout with the proposed settings, the wiper would no longer park after switching off the low speed wiper setting and there was no difference to the high speed wiper problem I am facing, Wiper High runs for a while until it exceeds the Load retry count and the PDM output will shut off.

1. The Wiper "Parks" when the Wiper Brake Switch is High - screenshot attached.
With the Wiper Brake Switch setting as High, the wiper properly parks every time from no matter which stage of the wiping it is at when the wipers are turned off so I think this setting is good.

2. When testing the PDM Outputs independantly, The Wper High still exceeds the Amp draw of Output 10.
I will try a different grounding location.

Additionally, the wiring on the PDM Ouput side is exactly as you have suggested however I will recheck if the Wiper Low Switch is actually switched off while the WIper High Switch is switched on.
Attachments
911 Help.jpg
Wiper Brake Switch High
911 Help.jpg (331.84 KiB) Viewed 15029 times
impLODE

Postby GWRMOTORSPORT on Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:19 am

Hi

just wondered whether your motor is the 3 speed one with the resistor on the side,
the drawing below shows the circuit, PDM wont do 3 speeds. it will need relays

Hope this helps

regards

Steve

GWR Motorsport
Attachments
Porsche wiper circuit.jpg
Porsche wiper circuit.jpg (7.88 KiB) Viewed 15013 times
GWRMOTORSPORT

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32