Switch input configuration?

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

Switch input configuration?

Postby supraholic on Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:39 pm

Hello MoTeC Gurus,

I'm new to the PDM world and currently setting up a PDM30 on my project car. All is going great so far. I have an iLift front air lift system installed and comes with a 2-way momentary switch: 'up' raises the suspension and 'down' lowers it as you might expect. Here is a snippet of the wiring diagram for the switch (pink wires):

I believe the switch pictured above is a simple low-side (momentary switch to ground). *EDIT*: using a multimeter I tested the voltage between the black wire and either pink wires and measured 2.7V so it's a low voltage input/switch. My question: is there a way i can configure a button on my MoTeC 8-button CAN switch with the PDM to activate 'up' and 'down' instead of using the analog switch? I read through the manual and did some Google searching but came up empty. With the PDM Manager software, can i setup 2 switch inputs that I can switch to 0v (black wire in pic above)? If this is possible with the PDM, setting up the CAN switch(es) should be easy. I really appreciate any guidance!

Regards,
Dan
Last edited by supraholic on Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.
supraholic

Re: Switch input configuration?

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:02 am

Hi,

From your description this can be done, using either directly wired inputs, or the keypad buttons.

If you can post your configuration and the diagram again, that would help.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby supraholic on Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:38 pm

Thanks for the reply Stephen! I fixed the link to the image in my post above. I'd love to use my motec CAN keypad for this scenario but i don't know where to plug in the 3 wires shown in the wiring diagram to make it work. Thanks for your guidance!

PS. I put a voltmeter between the black and each of the pink wires and it read 2.7V...so i confirmed it's a low voltage switch.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
2008 FactoryFive Roadster
2012 V12 Vantage
Current Project: Ultima Evolution Convertible 5.2L V10
supraholic

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:02 am

Having looked at the full wiring and install guide, I think that you would be better off retaining the momentary switch for the system as is, You could control it through the PDM, but you would need to use two 8A outputs to replicate the switch input into the control unit.

I have attached a basic configuration that will do this functionality.
Attachments
Ride Height Control.pdm
(21.48 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby supraholic on Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:35 am

Thanks for the follow-up Stephen...this is what I thought. I've used up all my outputs on my PDM30 so my fallback is to retain the separate 2-way switch. Thanks for confirming and providing the sample config--much appreciated!

Regards,
Dan
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
2012 V12 Vantage
supraholic

Postby supraholic on Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:51 am

So I think I have another option: use two of the 5V Aux Outputs on my C127 display. (I forgot to mention I have this display with the I/O upgrade!). Since my PDM30 outputs are all used up, I think I can link one my CAN switches to switch between two Aux output pins for 'UP' and 'DOWN', respectively (pink wires). In this scenario, I don't need the black wire since the AUX outputs will be supplying the trigger voltage. I'm going to give this a shot and see if I can successfully set this up! :D

-Dan
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
2012 V12 Vantage
supraholic

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:47 am

Well, now you can get the button status from the keypad (through the PDM - which can transmit it on the CAN bus) and use it to control your suspension height. You can also add logic so the suspension is lowered automatically at high speed, etc.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby supraholic on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:34 pm

Thanks for confirming my idea David! I'm going to give this a shot and I'll post back my results. Stay tuned.
-Dan
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
2012 V12 Vantage
supraholic

Postby stairimage on Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Your method is helpful. It worked. Thanks.
coreball
stairimage

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32