PDM 15 Failure

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

PDM 15 Failure

Postby Fede on Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 am

Dear, I belong to a team of important competition. And 7 years equipping us with motec come ECU, data loggers and PDM.
We never had a problem with anything, until recently failed me 2 PDM. One with the car running on track energy is suddenly short and PDM car stopped working. The open burning smell is appreciated.
This weekend, another PDM failure. The car leaves the track, upon return, short contact on the grid. Shortly after starting the race contact and the pilot gives the PDM never worked. Back to open it, a burning smell.
It is very worrying, I have 9 track cars equipped with PDM 15 and never had problems. All we've been using since 2010 and never failed.
The two that failed are the last we bought a year ago.
SN: 14103-12255 and 14103-12256.
I can attach the data acquired if they prefer.
New optima yellow top batteries, clean and tight terminals. Excellent mass around the vehicle. Inside the cabin room temperature around 36 ° C. PDM mounted properly isolated from vibrations in the cockpit.
Any suggestions?
Fede

Re: PDM 15 Failure

Postby SprinterTRD on Fri May 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Have you tried to connect with PDM manager to verify what has happened?

Is an output not working or has the PDM itself stopped working?
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby Fede on Tue May 26, 2015 11:20 pm

There in no communication with the PDM.
PDM replacement by another in the car and everything is working properly .
It is not a particularly current output directly nothing works .
Fede

Postby adrian on Wed May 27, 2015 10:53 am

If the PDMs are damaged and no longer working you will need to return them to your local MoTeC dealer and they will send them to us for repair.

Can you please also answer the following questions to help us with diagnosing and repairing the units.

Did the PDM failing cause the engine to stop or was the car shut off manually and then the PDM stopped working?
If it was shut down manually was the engine running at the time?
Can you provide a diagram of how the battery, main isolator switch and PDM are wired into the car?

If you have some data from when the PDMs failed it would also be helpful. You can send this to me via email if you don't want to post it (support@motec.com.au)
adrian
MoTeC

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32