PDM15 shut down

Discussion and support for MoTeC Power Distribution Modules

PDM15 shut down

Postby nybimmers1 on Tue May 07, 2024 9:52 pm

Hello,

I am having an issue where the power output is cut to either ecu,fuel pump or both randomly followed by a total shut down to the other electronics such as dash, blower , racelogic while on track.
I have the PDM supplying coils, injectors cam sensors , fuel pumps etc on separate outputs . The car has a cartek battery isolator. The sequence this shut down is as follows . Engine shuts down as it lost fueling or ignition and shortly after the Dash , racelogic timer and all other electronics independent of ECU turn off and i need to reset the CArtek switchto restore power . There is a delay of a few seconds between the loss of engine rpm and cartek total disconnection. I have confirmed this by looking at in car video and logged data .On the in car video i have overlayed throttle which is present indicating the DME still communicates .This is why i beleive is either fuel or ignition . The led flashing sequence of the CArtek suggests to check starter,alternator power cabling . What puzzles me is the initial ecu or fuel pumps cut followed by total disconnect
Does the PDM go into a total power down command if it detects an overcurrent ? What will be the overcurrent drawn for it to go into this mode if so ? I do not know when , at what overcurrent does the CArtek disconnects as well .

Thank you ,
Adrian
nybimmers1

Re: PDM15 shut down

Postby David Ferguson on Wed May 08, 2024 2:09 am

What you are describing is exactly what would happen if the Cartek were to detect a kill request. it will stop the ECU first with the kill signal, followed by disabling the power completely shortly after that.

I have seen that happen with the screw-on Binder connector to the Cartek was loose. Make sure you don't have an intermittent connection in any of your exterior kill buttons.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to PDM15 PDM16 PDM30 and PDM32