Exporting channels to ECU via CAN

Advanced Central Logging System including Versatile Input Modules

Exporting channels to ECU via CAN

Postby leguas on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 am

I've noticed that the M series ECU doesn't have an ACL CAN input data set, and from the ECU Manager, it can only receive data from ADL and E8xx. Is this correct? Isn't there a way to enable this function via software?

I've got the M800 and the ACL, and it seems that a software solution would do the trick... if not, then I'd have to buy an ADL, E888 for more channels, when I've already got plenty. And for the ECU to receive CAN channels from the ACL seems as complicated as receiving from an ADL/E8xx.

Besides that, congrats to motec hardware and software team for the ACL. It's SO nice to use a very friendly interface for such a powerful piece of equipment.

Regards,
--
Leonardo Carvalho
Petrobras Research Center :: Rio, Brazil
leguas

Re: Exporting channels to ECU via CAN

Postby ChrisN on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi Leonardo,

Although the CAN setup in the ECU refers to an ADL, the protocol and setup is exactly the same to work with an ACL, so you have exactly the same functionality. ACL Manager has default templates to read the datastream from an M800 ECU, as with the ADL. The ACL can also be configured to transmit data to the ECU via CAN in the same way as the ADL. It should be noted that when you see a reference to "ADL" in the ECU software, this works in exactly the same way for SDL, ADL, ADL2, and ACL.
ChrisN

Postby Igor DCM on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:30 am

Hi Chris and Leonardo,

Leonardo and I are both working with the ACL and exchanging info. I have a question about sending data from the ACL to the M800. This is one of the only things I have never done with CAN between MoTeC devices.

Is it possible to receive CAN data from the ACL to the M800 in anyway you want it? The other way around is completely possible with custom templates in the M800 and exporting them into the ACL. I can't find a menu in the M800 where I can setup a template to receive channels XYZ from the ACL. I can send to my CAN BUS anything I want from the ACL or ADL.

We could for example try to diminish engine torque via boost control(turbo engine) if we have high gearbox oil temperature. Gearbox oil temperature and pressure are sensors that we always wire into the ADLs(now ACLs) and not the ECUs. Therefore we could receive it in the ECU via CAN.

If it is possible to setup CAN channels to be used in the M800 like that, please teach us how to do it. It would be a powerful tool for our future projects (and probably Petrobras' as well).

Thank you
Igor Nunes
Dacar Motorsport
igor@dacarmotorsport.com
www.dacarmotorsport.com
55 (51) 3477-1653
55 (51) 3478-1405 fax
Rua Brigadeiro Ivo Borges, 148
Bairro São Luiz, Canoas - RS
Brazil 92420-050
Igor DCM

Postby JamieA on Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:27 pm

this document explains how to send data from an ADL to an M800, it should translate reasonably well into ACL->M800.

-Jamie
Attachments
DTN0005 ADL data to M800 via CAN comms.pdf
(695.26 KiB) Downloaded 2700 times
JamieA

Postby Mazi on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Is there any way to extend number of ADL (like) CAN input channels in the ECU? Twelve is really not an impressive number ;)

Mazi
Mazi

Postby leguas on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Jamie,

OK --- transmit message, base address 123, compound, ID mask ff00...
How could I have missed THAT!? ;)

Just kidding. I've got everything working now, thank you for your help.
It'll be nice to add the many functions of the ACL to the M800, most importantly channel maths and user conditions.

Again thank you for the prompt response, I really appreciate it.
--
Leonardo Carvalho
Petrobras Research Center :: Rio, Brazil
leguas

Return to ACL and VIM