Feature request

Advanced Central Logging System including Versatile Input Modules

Feature request

Postby Fast_Moto on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:56 pm

I was wondering whether Motec would consider adding the ability to use external math plug-ins in the ACL so that more advanced math could be performed during operation of the vehicle?
Fast_Moto

Re: Feature request

Postby Holmz on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Fast_Moto wrote:I was wondering whether Motec would consider adding the ability to use external math plug-ins in the ACL so that more advanced math could be performed during operation of the vehicle?

That is an interesting thought...
But what would one need a real-time math channel for?
On the car I can only think of ABS and Stability control systems.
There are very few active suspension, or active damper systems that are not OEM... so perhaps there.

One would need would need access to the platform details.
It would likely need to be some C to assembler type of translation.
Another option might be yet another thing like that listens to the CAN and does some math on a BlackFin or similar board and then spits out the answers on a different CAN address... Again like ABS or stability control systems likely do.

Again I do not have a clue as to what one might want to do though...
Usually it can be done post-facto, or on a proper computer in the pits via telemetry.
Holmz

Postby Fast_Moto on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:42 am

For a moto application, there is the potential to do some stuff with DBW and TC. Also, I am thinking of enhancing the IMU with GPS inputs.

The Blackfin looks pretty interesting.
Fast_Moto

Postby Holmz on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Fast_Moto wrote:For a moto application, there is the potential to do some stuff with DBW and TC. Also, I am thinking of enhancing the IMU with GPS inputs.

The Blackfin looks pretty interesting.

These two (or versions similar) have been ingested into a MoTec:
http://www.e-shock.it/products/Dolphin_System.html
http://www.microstrain.com/inertial/3dm-gx3-45

And this is interesting...
http://www.xsens.com/

If you were combining that with TC and DBW, then it would be interesting to see what could be done in the m800.
The microstrain and the xsens take in GPS, so there is no drama there - you completely avoid any CAN bus coms for GPS into those units

PM me if you need to.
Holmz

Postby Fast_Moto on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:13 am

The microstrain and xsens units look nice, but I'd rather use the IMU and GPS I already have. I believe that there are additional uses for more advanced math, including for TC, that will be interesting in the future. I believe the new ECUs will be able to do a lot more complicated math, but it would be interesting whether the ACL and ADLs will continue to be useful to enhance the calculating abilities of the ECU.

As for the DBW, there is already a fair bit that can be done to enhance DBW in the ACL by feeding the throttle signal to the ACL, performing certain functions on it that are not possible in the M880 and then sending it back as the DBW input signal to the M880. In other words, you adjust the input DBW signal in the ACL rather than the M880. However, there are a lot more possibilities if additional math were available.
Fast_Moto

Postby Holmz on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Fast_Moto wrote:...

Agreed
Holmz

Return to ACL and VIM