ADL3 counters

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

ADL3 counters

Postby SXD on Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 pm

I'm considering using an ADL3 dash, and have been looking at the configuration software.

One thing I want to do eventually is a custom paddle shift setup for what is essentially an H pattern gearbox.
The mechanical / pneumatic side of it all looks doable, and my initial plan was to use the PDM to control everything.
The control solenoids are only very small though so it's a bit overkill using 8amp PDM outputs to drive them.

Looking at the ADL3 settings, there are channels for counters and counter up/down inputs, but I can't find the function.
Searching counters in the help finds a page on setting them up, but it's not in the help index or in the config software as far as I can tell.

Am I missing something, or is there no general purpose counter function?

I found a forum post about doing a counter setup on an ADL2 so I can probably use that method, but it would be nicer to use a built in function if possible.

thanks
SXD

Re: ADL3 counters

Postby David Ferguson on Tue May 25, 2021 5:32 am

Please describe what you think a "general purpose counter function" does. I bet the counters can be used for this, but I'm not understanding what you are looking for.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby SXD on Tue May 25, 2021 9:44 am

I want to be able to increment a counter up and down based on switch inputs, with max / min values in either direction - the same as the counter function in the PDM or later dashes.

As far as I can tell, there is no counter function available on the ADL3.

Obviously it has a lap counter, page up/down counter etc, but I want to set up a custom one.
SXD

Postby David Ferguson on Tue May 25, 2021 10:00 am

You're right. Counter functionality (Calculations->Up/Down Counters...) came with the Cxxx Dashes, I was thinking the ADL3 and CDL3 had those as well, but they don't. Sorry.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby SXD on Tue May 25, 2021 10:17 am

bummer!
I was a bit confused by the counter function being in the help but not actually available!

It should be doable with the maths / table functions.
Otherwise I might have to save some more cash and get a C125 (although then it doesn't have enough IO for what I'm doing...)
SXD

Postby David Ferguson on Tue May 25, 2021 10:44 am

The replacement for a ADL3 is a C185/C187. You can even use the same harness.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby SXD on Tue May 25, 2021 11:48 am

Unfortunately the C185 is well out of my budget!
SXD

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue May 25, 2021 12:04 pm

Having built a Paddle Shift system using a PDM as the control system (had to retain the factory ECU) I wouldn't do it. The timings in the PDM for the switching are not fast enough to properly do the shifts.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby SXD on Tue May 25, 2021 8:01 pm

my gearbox is probably also a lot slower than the average paddle shifted setup, but that's good to know!

This is a bit of a future experiment (I'm currently running an external mechanical sequential shifter) so I'll build and test the hardware on the bench first either way.

I was originally planning on building my own controller which would handle the shifting and output a gear position signal (either CAN or analog / PWM) but the counter function in the PDM got me thinking about doing it that way and saving myself some work.
SXD

Postby Auto Sport Elect on Tue May 25, 2021 11:33 pm

I have previously used counters on an SDL, so an ADL3 should do it easy.

Use Darren's method described in this post viewtopic.php?f=14&t=162
Auto Sport Elect

Next

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3