CDL3 lap timing issues

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

CDL3 lap timing issues

Postby Tim on Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:37 am

Hi, I've set up my CDL3 to display lap count, running lap time, lap speed, max straight speed and lap gain/loss (running).
I am using GPS co-ordinates as a beacon but cannot seem to get these to work.
After lots of fiddling around with beacon co-ordinates and settings I finally got the lap counter working but have had no luck with the rest.
What might I be doing wrong and is there a simple way of getting accurate start/finish co-ordinates? The best way that I've found so far is do do a few laps then use the I2 software to get the co-ordinates.

Cheers,
Tim
Tim

Re: CDL3 lap timing issues

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am

Hello Tim,

You don't say where you are located. You might want to upload your CDL3 configuration, and we can take a look.

However here's what need to happen for GPS lap timing to work:
- GPS has to be configured and working (if you're getting GPS coordinates in I2, then you must have this correct.
- Within the CDL3 Dash Manager, under Calculations->Lap Time and Number... Beacon Type must be GPS, and the detection radius should be something like 20 meters / 75 ft. Larger radius prevents missing beacons on wide tracks.
- The details must have venues with GPS coordinates. In CDL3 Dash Manager, under File->Edit Details, click the "Manage Venues" button, if you don't see a list of venues (tracks) that include wherever you are driving, consider using either "Add..." to create a venue, or "Import" to import venues -- note the standard installation has venue files for various continents, and will present a dialog allowing you to automatically import all the venues in your region. Be sure to click OK to exit the Manage Venues dialog.
- Finally, you need to transmit your configuration to the dash after the venues have been created. It will send all the coordinates to the dash, and it will generate lap times whenever you reach any of the beacon locations.

I think those last two items are probably what you are missing and will get you going.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Tim on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:17 am

Hi David, many thanks for your reply. I think I have done all the steps you listed but did get there through trial and error. We are located in Dorset, UK and drove Castle Combe and Bedford GT last year. I did my best to set it up for those tracks but we haven't been out yet this year.
I can't upload our config file as it says that extension c16 isn't allowed. Could I email it to you?

Thanks,
Tim
Tim

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 am

Hi Tim,

I have added c16 extensions to the allowed list for uploads.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Tim on Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:31 am

Many thanks for allowing that file.
David here is my latest config file, it would be great if you could take a look and see what I've done wrong.

Tim

Castle Combe update 18th September 2018 - 022.C16
Our latest dash config
(804.18 KiB) Downloaded 1145 times
Tim

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:27 am

The only thing that looks odd to me, is the in Calculations->Lap Time and Number...->Lap Time you have a reset condition using "Beacon True".

Normally, I have either no conditions, or conditions like "Engine Speed = 0 (for 3 sec) " if I want to reset the lap time when the engine is stopped.

Under Lap Gain / Loss Running, you have it automatically updating with a faster lap, but no conditions to clear the reference lap time. If you've been making very short reference laps (ie. 0 sec, because of resetting lap time), then this might explain why you think channels based on the Reference Lap aren't working.

I would enabled the Reference Lap Time Reset (the default channel for clear), then make a user condition to set this with some combinations of buttons, (or the really clever way you did the Lap Counter 2, using "GPS Date Updated", if that is working). I usually make an alarm condition for "Reference Lap Time Reset" so that a message is displayed telling me it was reset.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by David Ferguson on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 am

I think that the Lap Time Reset is the problem. See the help on the Lap Time and Number Setup window. Under Lap Time it describes the behavior of the Lap Time Reset, and how it stops the Running Lap Time until the next beacon, etc.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Tim on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:23 am

Many thanks David, I think I have a better understanding of it now and have tried what you suggested. Hopefully we'll get out on a track day soon to try it.
One other thing that I can't figure out is how you use a button to set the beacon location. Do you know whether it can be done with the existing buttons or does it need something extra?

Tim
Tim

Postby David Ferguson on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:37 am

I never use a button, I prefer to set the GPS coordinates in the venue file. But it is possible, in the Calculations->Lap Time and Number... You can set a Push Button channel. You might be able to create a condition to generate this channel with your existing buttons, but you have several other combinations and I think it would be difficult to avoid triggering a beacon while trying to do something else.

I suggest either wiring another push button to one of the SPD channels, or simply updating your venue files with GPS coordinates (you can get these from Google Earth views.) Remember the default venues supplied includes most tracks.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Tim on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 am

That sounds like it's easier to just set GPS co-ordinates. I think I'll keep doing that.

Thanks again.
Tim

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3