SDL3 can data from motorcycle ecu

Discussion and support for current Advanced Dash Loggers, Sport Dash Loggers and Club dash loggers

SDL3 can data from motorcycle ecu

Postby FoxPerformance on Tue May 24, 2011 3:59 am

Would like to run a SDL3 dash on motorcycle but still keep the stock ecu.

the stock ecu sends engine info via CAN to the stock dash right now.

the sdl3 should be able to pick up the CAN data from a motorcycles stock ecu and use sdl3 display it, RPM, temps, etc....correct?

so the question: all the can data the stock ecu sends has specific addresses so how do you figure out what those are and what they correlate to so the sdl3 can show these channels properly? or has motec already figured this out and there's a standard template for this for specific manufactures?
Ben Fox
www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
(719)570-9595
FoxPerformance

Re: SDL3 can data from motorcycle ecu

Postby JamieA on Tue May 24, 2011 11:25 am

Brad,
you have asked a very interesting question, but Im not sure that you will like the answer....

The MoTeC SDL3 is able to be custom configured by the end user to suit any CAN application. So in theory, you will be able to read any information off the CAN bus into your SDL3.

Once you have the info in the SDL3, it just becomes a channel like any other, so you can display, log, transmit, etc any of these recieved CAN channels. That is the easy bit.

The hard bit, you have already identified, is to work out which ID and offset from the Factory ECU refers to which channel, and what is its scaling.

For some reason, manufacturers seem to guard this information as though it was top secret, which it really isnt. So, I doubt that you will ever get an official description of the comms from anywhere. So from here, you have no option but to reverse engineer the CAN comms. To do that, you need to get a CANalyzer. these items show you the contents of the CAN bus. From here, you modify one sensor at a time, and look at what is changing on the bus when you do this.

From doing this one item at a time, you can eventually work out what item is in which location, and what its scaling is.

you can then enter this information into the SDL3, and you are away.

It can be a tough task to do, which is why you dont often find the information readily available from others.

that is about your only option to make this work, other than to replace the factory ECU with an aftermarket one.

regards

Jamie
JamieA

Postby FoxPerformance on Wed May 25, 2011 5:32 am

I am pretty sure i can get this information.

is the ID and offset the only thing necessary?
Ben Fox
(719)570-9595
FoxPerformance

Postby Polux RSV on Wed May 25, 2011 9:42 pm

You will need offset, size (byte or word) scaling and units. If it is word, you will need byte order.
For example, a temperature of 56,7 degrees could be sent as 567 if scaling is 10, for tenth of degrees. And if bytes are reversed, the value you will see would be 14082: 567= 0x0237, 0x3702=14082. :(

And I agree with Jamie, You will have hard time finding these informations.

Angelo
Polux RSV

Postby FoxPerformance on Fri May 27, 2011 4:35 am

Below is the response I got from the ecu manufacture, is this useable to get the channels into the sdl3?:

This page contains the layout of the packets (frames) transmitted by the ECU at 1mbps. The content of each is fixed to 4 Words per packet with channel 1 being indicated the channel at the furthest left.

All CAN data is transmitted in Motorola format (MSB first, LSB last)

The ID can be any 11bit hexadecimal value between 0 and 7FF.

RPM 200,2

TPS 208,0 1 decimal

Lambda 1 208,2 1 decimal

Lambda 2 208,4 1 decimal

Can lambda 1 244,4 1 dec

Can lambda 2 244,6 1 dec

Ignition advance 20C,0 1 dec

Inj advance (phase??) 214,2

Air temp 238,0 1 dec

Coolant temp 238,2 1 dec

Advance transient 228,2 1 dec

Inj transient 228,0 3 dec

Coil Dwell 23C,0 3 dec

Fuel inj cyl 1 (injector milliseconds) 210,0 3 dec

Fuel inj cyl 2 (injector milliseconds 210,2 3 dec

Battery volts 23C,2 1 dec

DTC 24C,4 but I don’t know the format in this moment

Quick shifter voltage byte 240,4 in binary format the first digit is for shift input

Rear wheel speed 248,0
Ben Fox
(719)570-9595
FoxPerformance

Postby David Ferguson on Fri May 27, 2011 7:24 am

It looks to me like they have given you a lot of data to start. I suspect the format is "ChannelName CANAddress, byte-offset length format". You should be able to create your template from that info - time to get to work and try it!
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby NathanS on Tue May 31, 2011 9:19 am

Just out of curiosity which bike is this from?
NathanS

Return to ADL3, SDL3 and CDL3