Wiring switch to change screens on SDL help needed.

Discontinued earlier generation Dash Loggers

Wiring switch to change screens on SDL help needed.

Postby jlucchio on Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:37 am

I've got an SDL and previously there was a momentary toggle switch wired to it which would toggle the screen one direction if you went up and back if you went down. Problem was it was on the dash and hard to reach. I subsituted a push button switch instead on the wheel but not sure how to wire it.

The toggle had three wires, one brown which I assumed is the ground, and one grey/blue and one grey/green. The push button only has two posts.

How do I need to determine which wire to use? Is there also programming that needs to change?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?
jlucchio

Re: Wiring switch to change screens on SDL help needed.

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:50 am

Hi,

The centre post on the toggle switch should have the 0v wired to it, and the other two will be going to switch inputs on the SDL. If you have the dash powered up you can touch the Gr/B and Gr/G to the Br separately and it should have the screen toggle in one direction or the other, depending on the wires that are joined. Once you have determined which wire control your desired direction of scrolling then you can wire the push button to use that input.

The other input should be covered over with tape or heatshrink to protect it, unless you wish to remove that input from the dash for other usage.

Doing this will not require reprogramming (unless you wish to reuse the switch input for other functions), it will only scroll in one direction though.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Re: Wiring switch to change screens on SDL help needed.

Postby jlucchio on Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:44 am

Ok - that's what I thought. So the button on the steering wheel will the brown on one pin and either the grey/gr or grey/blue on the other. Then those would connect with the same wires going to the SDL. I have a plug that the button is wired to and a plug that the wires going to the SDL are connected to. Same color to same color I would assume.
jlucchio

Return to ADL, ADL2 and SDL