ADL2 and backlight. Need Help

Discontinued earlier generation Dash Loggers

ADL2 and backlight. Need Help

Postby mr2andy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:14 am

Hello all,
I have an ADL2 unit w/backlight. I confirmed it by emailing the serial # to Motec and verified its a backlight model. I'm having issue getting the backlight to work.

I found this link below for ADL and wonder if it should works the same way for ADL2
http://www.motec.com/filedownload.php/a13.pdf?docid=1180

I found this potentiometer and wonder if it will work.
http://www.ntepartsdirect.com/ENG/PRODUCT/501-0120?gclid=CjwKCAiAk4XUBRB5EiwAHBLUMUjWKEGyqx82du-xwBvsXIsfxWfxQ7fkaFQ_rJJCtCjtoSIAwkYNrxoCGQsQAvD_BwE

There is also such a thing called the Motec ADL2 voltage inverter and wonder if I need that to get the backlight to work?

Thanks for the help.
mr2andy

Re: ADL2 and backlight. Need Help

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 am

Yes, the backlight inverter is the critical piece! You need to have that installed.

You have the data sheet, now you just need the module.

Your pot should work if you want that. I have always just wired them up fixed, or with a two-position switch to provide a bright / dim setting.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby mr2andy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:40 am

David,
Thanks once again for answering my question!

Let me just to be sure, I need either the voltage inverter module from Motec OR the potentiometer that I found right? Not BOTH correct?

Cheers
Andy
mr2andy

Postby David Ferguson on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 am

You need the voltage inverter. The voltage pot is to control the inverter output (it goes to pins 6 & 7 on the DTM connector). The inverter is a step up transformer to the approx 1000v needed to run the backlighting.

The inverter has a DTM connector, and the data sheet shows how you connect to this using a DTM-8S, with the optional pot to control the backlight, or jumper wires (or switches) for the fixed brightnesses.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby mr2andy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:01 am

Hey David,
Thanks again for answering my question. I have placed an order to the voltage inverter and hopefully it will come in soon. Without the backlight, it's not usable at all at night.

I have another question for you though. My current setup is M400->ADL2->SLM. Is there a different between setting up the SLM through the M400 app vs setting up the SLM through the ADL2 manager?

I will soon upgrade the M400 to M130 and again, does it make any different setting up the SLM using the M130 vs the ADL2.
mr2andy

Postby David Ferguson on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 am

You will find the SLM setup is much more configurable using the ADL2. You can create all kinds of patterns (base on channels other than Engine Speed), change colors brightness, etc.

The SLM setup in the ECU's (both Mx00 and M1) is fairly simple, using RPM and Warning Light channels only.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby mr2andy on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:18 am

I can't find much information on setting up the SLM through the ADL2 manager. I guess the documentation for ADL2 was created at the time when SLM wasn't even around?

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, by any chance if that you have any documentation that show the step in setting up the SLM in ADL2?
mr2andy

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:10 pm

First, you need to understand where to find information on the Dash Manager applications -- it's found in the help section for those products. Depending upon your Windows OS, you may need to install support for help from the Microsoft website -- but it's worth it as the help is really helpful.

Using ADL2 Dash Manager, use Help->Topics then Search for SLM. You will find 2 extremely useful topics:
Shift Light Module Setup and Shift Light Module Pattern Setup. These are also available by pressing the help button on the appropriate window (ie, Functions->Shift Light Module... and under the "Add..." and "Edit..." buttons within that window).

Here is what it says under Shift Light Module Setup:

Shift Light Module Setup
This screen allows the MoTeC Shift Light Module to be configured.

Patterns
The Shift Light Module is configured by specifying patterns to apply when various conditions are true (and/or false).

The condition is normally simply a channel such as the Warning Light channel or a Shift Light channel.

Pattern Priority
The order of the patterns in the list specifies the priority of each pattern.

The pattern at the top of the list has the highest priority. The order may be changed using by clicking on the up and down arrow buttons.

A typical priority might be:

Shift Light 3
Shift Light 2
Shift Light 1
Wheel Lock
Left Indicator
Right Indicator
Warning Alarm

Notice that even though the Warning light might be the most important channel the Shift lights have been set with a higher priority. This is so that the Shift Lights still work even when an alarm is active.

Inactive Lights.
A pattern may contain lights that are not active. This allows lights in a lower priority pattern to still show.

For example Shift Light 3 may only activate the centre four lights allowing the other LEDS to remain controlled by shift lights 1 & 2 and therefore will be shown in the colour specified by Shift Lights 1 & 2

Preview
Pressing the Preview button allows simulation of the operation of the SLM so that the setup can be verified.

Communications Setup
When the Shift Light Module is configured (i.e. when there are items in the Patterns List) the communications will be automatically configured by adding a "Slave Device TX" to the first available CAN transmit section.

Brightness Control
The overall brightness can be controlled via a channel. The channel would typically be fed from a driver adjustable switch to allow for changes in ambient light conditions.

Note that the maximum brightness can be set for each pattern in the pattern setup, this allows different patterns to have different brightness.

Active Patterns Channel
The active pattern can be viewed or logged by feeding a channel. This is a bit representation of which patterns are active. The lower 8 bits are used to indicate which of the true patterns are active, the upper 8 bits indicate which of the false patterns are active.

Hope that helps!
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby mr2andy on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:57 am

Just want to report back that I got the voltage inverter, wire up and ADL2 backlight looks beautiful. Thanks for all the help. Now I need to read more about the CAN and get it all set up.

Cheers :D
Andy
mr2andy

Postby nick303 on Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:38 am

Good afternoon. I thought to continue on this thread for ease of reference to others.
I have an Motec ADL-8-BL serial number 3029. I also got an inverter. The dash works just fine but the back light is not working. I have +12v on pin 8, -12v on pin 1 and wired pin 2 to pin 6 at the ADL.
I tried a 5 step switch between pins 3 through 7 but didn't work
I tried a bridge between pin 6 and pin 7 but no luck either
The dash draws 0.13 amp on idle and this will increase to 0.16 amp when connecting the inverter. The inverter draws 0.03 Amps when connected alone.
What else can I do please to check if it's the inverter or the dash?
nick303

Return to ADL, ADL2 and SDL