Controlling Skyline V Spec active rear differentials?

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Controlling Skyline V Spec active rear differentials?

Postby Chris Wilson on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:34 am

Not sure where top place this post, so please feel free to move it!

I am as much, or more, interested in chassis technology as engine technology, and I have often wondered what would be required to give meaningful aftermarket ecu control to an active rear diff in a 2 wheel drive car used on circuits? I have a 2 WD Skyline that I want to add an Skyline R34 V spec active diff to. Has anyone any links or info as to practical control of such a thing? Would an M800 run it, or would I be looking at something totally different? Initially I would like to know how the Nissan ecu controls it, I know the 4WD cars have a 3 axis G sensor and steering angle input sensor, plus some brake input. Looking to reduce tight corner, off power understeer whilst retaining good corner exit traction and straight line traction. Thanks.
Chris Wilson

Re: Controlling Skyline V Spec active rear differentials?

Postby DarrenR on Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi Chris,

I don't know anything about the active rear diffs except i've seen an oil resovoiur and pump in the boot of one, think it was an r33 v-spec gts tho, not r34, it was a long time ago...

Based on that i assume it works on a very similar setup to the GTR center 'diff' clutch, more oil pressure = more lock up, or is it smarter than that like the evo x active yaw control?

Any way it is, i'm sure it is PWM to some hydraulic valves to control oil pressure and in this case it would be fairly easy to control. Basic control can be done using an M800 or advanced control looking at complex maths from G force, yaw rate, steering angle, individual wheel speeds, engine load, etc. using an ADL3 dash.

Can anyone confirm any details on the skyline active diff??
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Re: Controlling Skyline V Spec active rear differentials?

Postby Pascal on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 pm

You are on the good road Darren, steering sensor, 4 wheel speed, clutch sens. More pressure pumping, more pressure on external 1st plate and more lock down. But to controll it with MoTeC, nice idea. I think is possible. Somehow....

Cheers
Pascal

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs