A few questions on Setup for a MKIV supra.

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

A few questions on Setup for a MKIV supra.

Postby carchitect on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:59 pm

This is on a stroked 3.2 liter 2JZ-GTE. The cylinder head being used is a VVT-i and the throttle body being used is a large 85mm DBW unit from a Lexus IS-F.

My M800 has DBW, Cam control Lamdba, 1MB logging and advanced functions enabled. I noticed in the sync/ref sensor setup that the IS300 is an OEM option. This vehicle uses the same 36 minus 2 for the reference. The sync is also the same with 3 teeth. Both these sensors are magnetic reference. My question here is when you select this setting do I still have to figure out the magnetic reference sensor thershold values?

The VVT-i control from the OEM ecu is via 2 wire. Having looked at the control with the OEM ecu, it appears that the OEM ecu provides the power and the duty cycled ground. Should I use cam control with one wire or two wires? Simply trying to conserve my outputs.

I was also planning on using six 1000cc fuel injectors in the port and injector output #7 to control two 1000cc methanol injectors in the charge pipe. These two injectors will not spray at a timed event like the main six will. Should I use the Aux output options and select RPM and MAP as my X and Y respectively in my axis setup and built a table to control them? I don't think I need Lambda feedback on them. Or do you have another option? My unit doesn't have the 10/12 cylinder option enabled.

I'm also unsure about the fuel pressure control via PWM/PID. I noticed this as an option in the output function setup. Do you use a solid state relay to control the fuel pump using the fuel pressure sensor as a reference? Do you ditch the fuel pressure regulator altogether and use an orifice to restrict the flow back to the tank?

Also noticed that ignition on can be used as an input. This states that would be the case of having the ecu powered at all times. How much current would that consume? It this used as a battery backup function like OEMs use?

BTW, thanks in advance for the time to respond to my billion questions. The unit seems like a lot of stuff in a very small package. My goal for this vehicle to run with OEM like drivability including emissions components. This vehicle is primarily a street vehicle and taken to the track a handful of times. This was one of the main reasons why I selected the M800 to command it.

-Joe
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
carchitect

Re: A few questions on Setup for a MKIV supra.

Postby carchitect on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 am

Anyone??...

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
carchitect

Postby RossB on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:13 am

My M800 has DBW, Cam control Lamdba, 1MB logging and advanced functions enabled. I noticed in the sync/ref sensor setup that the IS300 is an OEM option. This vehicle uses the same 36 minus 2 for the reference. The sync is also the same with 3 teeth. Both these sensors are magnetic reference. My question here is when you select this setting do I still have to figure out the magnetic reference sensor thershold values?

Yes the Mag Level and Filter valyes need to be set up. The Ref Sync Mode determines the trigger pattern that the ECU makes its calculation from, the type of signal and the levels of the signal are completely seperate. This means that you can use different combinations of sensors (magnetic, hall etc.) with the same Ref Sync Mode.
The VVT-i control from the OEM ecu is via 2 wire. Having looked at the control with the OEM ecu, it appears that the OEM ecu provides the power and the duty cycled ground. Should I use cam control with one wire or two wires? Simply trying to conserve my outputs.

You just need to supply 12V power to the solenoid and wire the other pin to the ECU output which will control it by a duty cycle to ground.
I was also planning on using six 1000cc fuel injectors in the port and injector output #7 to control two 1000cc methanol injectors in the charge pipe. These two injectors will not spray at a timed event like the main six will. Should I use the Aux output options and select RPM and MAP as my X and Y respectively in my axis setup and built a table to control them? I don't think I need Lambda feedback on them. Or do you have another option? My unit doesn't have the 10/12 cylinder option enabled.

You can use an auxiliary table to control the additional injectors if you want to, MAP and RPM would be a logical choice as axis. The problems you are likely to have with doing this are that fuel distribution from the additional injectors will be poor and it is likely that the transition between them being on and off will not be smooth. You can run a Hi/Lo injector setup on your M800 , there is no need for the 10/12 upgrade but you will need an ignition expander to run all of your coils. This would be a better solution.
I'm also unsure about the fuel pressure control via PWM/PID. I noticed this as an option in the output function setup. Do you use a solid state relay to control the fuel pump using the fuel pressure sensor as a reference? Do you ditch the fuel pressure regulator altogether and use an orifice to restrict the flow back to the tank?

Normally you would have a dead end fuel rail and the ECU would control the duty cycle to pump. Feedback is required from a fuel pressure sensor. A solid state relay would work. You could control a pressure regulator but this is normally only done in common rail diesel applications where fuel pressure is used to determine the amount of fuel being delivered to the engine rather than the length of injector opening time.
Also noticed that ignition on can be used as an input. This states that would be the case of having the ecu powered at all times. How much current would that consume? It this used as a battery backup function like OEMs use?

The ignition switch function will allow the engine to be stopped with a switch (cuts injectors, ignition and fuel pump) but leaves the ECU powered up. The ECU does not need to be powered up constantly like an OEM ECU though.
RossB

Postby carchitect on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:00 pm

Ross, I appreciate you taking the time to reply regarding my setup.

I did happen to get a file from a non-VVT-i Supra owner running an M600 but it is an E34 file. I'm running V3.5 and it won't allow it to open. Do you have a link to download V3.4? The analog sensors are about the same as what I'll be using but the digital sensors will be different.

Do you happen to have an IS300 VVT-i base map file?

I thought about using the 2ZZ VVT-i file but I think the 2ZZ and the 2JZ are completely different animals on the cam controls and sync/ref setups.

Thanks in advance

-Joe

carchitect

Postby IJ. on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Joe: ECU Manager>File>Convert Old Files> Done :)
IJ.

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs