M800 and E888/E816

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

M800 and E888/E816

Postby Scott@FP on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:31 pm

Where is the documentation on how to get an M800 and an E888/E816 talking to each other?
Scott@FP

Re: M800 and E888/E816

Postby RossB on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

It is in the M800 Help file under General Setup/Communications/CAN Setup. All you need to do is set the correct CAN address and Data Set. E888/E815 have a Transmit Data set (for Expander outputs) and a Recieve Data Set (for Expander Inputs).
When you set the file up for E888/816 Transmit the Expander Outputs Menu will appear in place of the Injector Outputs Menu.
RossB

Postby Scott@FP on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:24 am

A large part of my problem was that there appears to be an 'oops' in the software, the only way I seem to be able to tell if the two units are communicating properly is to look at data, I couldn't find anything that would indicate the two units were in communication, but if you select 'E888 thermocouple (F)' it reads illogically off. If you place the K type TC in icewater while you have 'E888 TC(F)' selected, the output reads 0F instead of 32F. If you select 'E888 TC(C)' and place the TC in icewater it also reads 0C, so it appears the software does the 5/9ths conversion but forgot to add 32F.

By the same token, all TC channels, if no probe is present, I assume are supposed to read the cold junction temp, and this being illogical and the same across all channels points to a comm error in my mind.

Since I didn't have any AV's connected at the time (wanted to verify operation before buttoning up the harness) I didn't have a good reference to whether communications were occurring between the two boxes.

I just can't give up Imperial units like the rest of the world.

Scott
Scott@FP

Postby RossB on Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:55 am

It sounds like you have a connection problem or in-correct settings in the CAN setup. You sould be able to see the cold junction temp. The farenheit calibration starts at 32 degrees so if you are seing zero it would be because you do not have a connection and the defult value is set to zero.
RossB

Postby Scott@FP on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:45 am

Please tell me what the CAN settings are supposed to be, because there is ZERO documentation on CAN setup for Mxxx to E888/816.

If I set up the sensors to read in C the cold junction and test probe (icewater) temps are correct, if I set up for F they are both offset 32 degrees F lower than they should be. This is with the exact same probe/channel, just going back into input setup and changing the channel from 'E888 thermocouple deg C' to 'E888 thermocouple deg F', no other change.
Scott@FP

Postby Scott@FP on Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:52 am

Also, is there any way to add more user channels? I have a bunch (more than 8) of channels that would work much better if I were able to rename and define their nature prior to viewing in i2.
Scott@FP

Postby RossB on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 pm

THe CAN Data is 2 and the Address is 240 for an E888 but I am assuming that you already have this if you are receiving channel data from the E888. This information is in the Help File ("F1" key). What other documentation do you need?

I have found the problem with the farenheit cal for E888 thermocouple, it starts at 0 instead of 32. You can fix this by changing it on the Input Setup. Select the #83 pre defined calibration, then select the Custom Button and this will allow you to look at and edit the table. You need to change the deg F value so that when input is 0 it is 32. The value at the top of the scale is correct.

Unfortunately there is no way of adding more than 8 user channels in the M800.
RossB

Postby Scott@FP on Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:28 am

RossB wrote:THe CAN Data is 2 and the Address is 240 for an E888 but I am assuming that you already have this if you are receiving channel data from the E888. This information is in the Help File ("F1" key). What other documentation do you need?

Imagine someone whom has never set up a dash or other accessory trying to get an Mxxx and the E888/816 set up. There is no documentation. Things are quite a bit different than what is in the E888/816 manual. It seems we are starting at page 22 instead of page 1 and a bunch of things are assumed to be common knowledge. CAN channels- what are they, logical channels, physical channels? There are two physical channels on the unit. Which ones should be used and why? What gets you the highest logging rate? How can you tell the two units are communicating properly?

Input setups- in the AV sensor setups, instead of volts with 3 decimal places we are now dealing with mV, no big deal, easy to see. But what about the definition of the units? Its not always mV, appears to revert to AD units or maybe 8 bit hex in some instances. What about other types of sensors? For instance digitals, the input unit is not defined and we lose the 'parameters' field that has definition. If you look at live data it appears to be AD units or maybe 8 bit hex, and trying to determine their definition is difficult, and is not the same setup routine as outlined in the E888 manual for dash units.

A simple one or two page setup guide would come in quite handy and save you phone time.

RossB wrote:I have found the problem with the farenheit cal for E888 thermocouple, it starts at 0 instead of 32. You can fix this by changing it on the Input Setup. Select the #83 pre defined calibration, then select the Custom Button and this will allow you to look at and edit the table. You need to change the deg F value so that when input is 0 it is 32. The value at the top of the scale is correct.

OK, I see it, didn't realize you could load a predefined sensor cal then see the actual table by choosing 'custom'.

RossB wrote:Unfortunately there is no way of adding more than 8 user channels in the M800.

Bummer for me.
Scott@FP

Postby RossB on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:10 pm

I can understand your frustration, it is always difficult doing something for the first time. Unfortunately there are so many possible combinations for configuring MoTeC systems it is difficult to document them in a way that suits everyone, that is why we have this forum. If you have specific questions that are not covered in the manual just ask on here.

Are you using the latest version of ECU Manager? We found a bug in AV6 and AV7 expander inputs which has been fixed and may account for some of the confusion over the channel units you are seeing.

What function are you wanting to use on the expander digital inputs?

"CAN Channels"? DO you mean CAN id? There are 2 possibilities of CAN id to allow for the use of 2 expanders on an ADL. You need to use the default id.
RossB

Postby Scott@FP on Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:10 am

RossB wrote:
Are you using the latest version of ECU Manager? We found a bug in AV6 and AV7 expander inputs which has been fixed and may account for some of the confusion over the channel units you are seeing.

What function are you wanting to use on the expander digital inputs?

Using 3.51U2

Want to use E888 dig in channels for speed (RPM) measurements, but can't seem to find a proper definition for the nature of its signal, as it is NOT Hz when viewed in the E800 raw sensor values, or in the inputs/user/calibration tables. In order to write a proper cal table to convert to speed (or RPM in my case, multi-tooth wheel) I need to figure out just what it is.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott@FP

Next

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs