M400 Ignition Box used with Coils w/ Internal Igniters

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: M400 Ignition Box used with Coils w/ Internal Igniters

Postby tkarttrev on Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:27 am

Thanks for the quick reply and valuable input. Here are some details that may help us find the perfect solution.

1: Yes, the distributor has a broad range of rotation and is on a gear, so I can get the sensor very close to the ideal location fortunately.

2: When I machine a finished cover, I will allow plenty of adjustment to move the sensor in and out, as well as flats to tighten the jam nuts.

3: The sensor is a M Mhall 437 which is described as a magnetic hall that is triggered by the south pole of a magnet. Below is a link to the spec sheet from Milspecwiring. I am using the magnet they spec for it.
https://www.milspecwiring.com/DATA%20SHEETS/RG/RG_SPEC-0064%20MHALL%20437.pdf

4: I understand the benefits of having the trigger wheel as large as can be accommodated for the sake of accuracy, and I may be able to double the radius of the magnet wheel when I make my final parts.

When you said the M400 has trouble with "two on top of each other", can you elaborate? Do you mean both crank and cam sync signals? (The crank signal is at 90 degrees BTC so these should not signal at the same time, if that is what you are referring to.

Thank you very much for your continued help.
tkarttrev

Re: M400 Ignition Box used with Coils w/ Internal Igniters

Postby Sean on Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:50 am

The screenshot is from a ref / sync capture. The yellow is the ref signal, blue is the sync signal. You can see the sync signal passes through zero volts in between the ref signals. It's my understanding that the M800 series ecus don't like the ref and sync signals to be right on top of each other as they pass zero.

Ref / sync capture is in ecu manager under utilities, you'll use this when setting yours up to verify what's occurring.
If milspecwiring says the sensor works with a magnet, it works with a magnet :ugeek:

rsc zoom.png
rsc zoom.png (44.39 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Sean

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs