EJ20 Timing Issue when cold

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

EJ20 Timing Issue when cold

Postby Vlad on Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:43 pm

I've been working with MoTeC for many years now, but sometime is just way more easy to share your thought with others. This is my M800 which i've fitted on my Subaru. It's a Spec C EJ20, at the moment, i do not have the cam control active in the ecu, but even so, the engine runs fine, with both cams retarded. My problem is when cold, the engine changes it's sound, like it has spark timing after tdc...after about a minute or so, it suddently jumps up from 1000 rpm to 1300, map goes down ,etc, i'm ataching the file and the log....i have checked 100 times the map....please see for yourselfs the log, and the cfg and have a thought about what's going on. The only thing i can think of is that over night, the cams advance or something (pushed by the valve springs). Dose the MoTeC calculate the timing by the sync sensor? ) Or use it just as sync? On this subaru pettern.
Attachments
20201127-0288301.ld
(327.91 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
STI 2004 JPR High Timing.e35
(72 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
Vlad Pescaru
JPR Engineering, MoTeC Authorised Dealer
Vlad

Re: EJ20 Timing Issue when cold

Postby Sean on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:01 pm

Am I deluded, or is the ignition timing not matching what it's supposed to be from looking at the main table and the ign ET comp? Also it doesn't seem to get to the idle rpm target very often, or am I missing something (again). Right before the revs jump up it hits the target idle rpm, is the idle valve wide open up to this point then closing which is why the map is dropping. Lean maybe until the idle valve shuts down? I'm just throwing ideas out there :?

Possibly test again logging the 5 available idle control parameters, and set the lambda sensor to fast heat so you can see that too. If you have wired up for the cam control you can log the cam position without having cam control enabled.
Sean

Postby Vlad on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:45 am

I have already tried that, lambda is 0.78-0.80 righ after start up, i was not logging the aux outputs then. But the DC of the idle valve drops down slowly around the value in the "Normal Position" table. So i've excluded that out being the cause of that 'hickup'. Again, the engine's sound is what bothers me, it sounds just like when i'm going in the CRIP menu and locking the timing to 0-5 deg or so, after that hickup, the engine starts sounding normal, that high pitch twin scroll ej20 sound, even thow the ign timing is way lower in the map, and in datalog than before.... I didn't bother to tune the idle properly untill the engine runs and sounds normal, for this point, it's simply a open loop tune based on the normap position table with the pid clapmed.
PS. Thanks for the hint on the cam position thing, i thought that reading cam position is also part of the cam control function, i will wire it and check. I have a feeling it has something to do with the AVCS system...i have tried to wire it as an on/off system, but the engine dosen't seem to feel anything when i switch them on....Maybe they get stuck or something.
Vlad Pescaru
Vlad

Postby Vlad on Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Okay so...it just crossed my mind to make the ecu read the trigger patern 360deg around. Entered 220Crip instead of 580 and the car runns like a swiss clock! :shock:
Vlad Pescaru
Vlad

Postby Sean on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 am

Vlad, I'm assuming that you're attributing the smooth running to effectively moving the injector timing by 360 degrees? Some sort of fuel puddling issue maybe? Cheers.
Sean

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs